Douglas
Douglas, HVAC Technician
Experience:  Manufacture Rep for Major Brand, Technical Trainer, NATE

my heat pump will not blow cold air but the fans are running.

my heat pump will not blow cold air but the fans are running. what can i do to make it cold?
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Douglas replied 4 years ago.
Is the outdoor unit running?
If so can you feel the refrigerant lines... the large insulated one should be cold (not frozen) and the other smaller one might be neutral or warm. (not hot).
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
yes but the lines are cool. but i turnede the system off about 10 min ago
Expert:  Douglas replied 4 years ago.
cool as in the same temperature as the outdoor temp?

If the outdoor fan was running, you will have to turn it back on and listen carefully to the outdoor unit to see if you hear the compressor running. Usually if the outdoor propellar fan runs the compressor will be running but if the fan is running and the compressor is not, then it may be off on it's internal overload safety.

This can happen as a result of low refrigerant charge.

Now if those lines are frozen, we have another issue.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
no the lines are not frozen. should the fans on the outside unit be blowing air to the outside of the unit or should it be pulling air from the outside to the inside of the unit?
Expert:  Douglas replied 4 years ago.
blowing out.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

so if i put my hands over the top of the outside unit i should feel cold air yes or no?

Expert:  Douglas replied 4 years ago.
Oh, outside the air coming out should be warm.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
well it not it is cold
Expert:  Douglas replied 4 years ago.
Can you hear the compressor running?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
yes
Expert:  Douglas replied 4 years ago.
Is this the first time it's been on in cooling this year?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
no
Expert:  Douglas replied 4 years ago.
Hmmm

Well, I suppose it could be low on refrigerant by developing a recent leak. It could be the reversing valve is stuck in mid position or something else in the refrigerant circuit.

When you get into those things, you really need to have a tech or at the very least the tools to check the refrigerant charge and system temps with.

If the outdoor fan is running, this tells me there is indeed a call for cooling from the thermostat. It tells me there is power at the unit. It also tels me the contactor is pulled in and not tripped on a high or low pressure switch. If the compressor is indeed running, it's not pumping or there is an issue with the refrigerant charge or refrigerant system anyway.

I assume your indoor fan is blowing air through the vents but its just mild, not cold. (if it was cold, the air coming out of the outdoor fan would be warm.

You see Air conditioning just moves heat. It removes heat from where you dont want it (in the house) and rejects it to a place that doesnt matter (outside)... This was the best definition because it's descriptive.... Willis Carrier said that.

I said that to say this, you cant remove heat without rejecting it. If both are mild, there is an issue that will ultimately require service.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
thank you for your help
Expert:  Douglas replied 4 years ago.
I wish I could wave a wand and make it go from here.....
Douglas, HVAC Technician
Experience: Manufacture Rep for Major Brand, Technical Trainer, NATE