Tim H.
Tim H., HVAC Professional
Experience:  Experienced in all aspects of HVAC, both residential and commercial.
27228809

I have a Heil, electric furnace. The heating coils will not

Customer Question

I have a Heil, electric furnace. The heating coils will not shut off unless i trip the breaker. Everything works fine. The fan comes on when requested by the thermostat control, but the heat coils dont shut off when the fan does. What is wrong?
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Tim H. replied 6 years ago.
It could be a sticking relay. There is a relay that kicks in and sends power to the heating coils.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I need to know more information on which relay so that I can find the part and replace it.
Expert:  Tim H. replied 6 years ago.
If you can shut the main power off and locate the area where the circuit board is located for this furnace. It is essential that you make sure there is no power to the furnace. Shut the switch off and any circuit breakers off. Then trace the wires back that go to the heating coils and they will go to either a separate relay or a circuit board. If they go to a circuit board, the relay will be mounted on the circuit board. This is the part that sends power to the heating coils.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I have three blue wires from the heating elements. Two of them go to one relay and one goes to another relay. There is no circut board.
Expert:  Tim H. replied 6 years ago.

Are there 3 separate heating coils??

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
yes
Expert:  Tim H. replied 6 years ago.
When you open the cover and look at the relays do you see either of them "stuck" in the down position?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
no, there are no visible contacts.
Expert:  Tim H. replied 6 years ago.
OK, most relays without visible contacts have a removeable cover that can be taken off. Usually 2 or 4 small screws.