Regan Land
Regan Land, HVAC Technician
Experience:  15 years of experience, NATE Certified, Licensed HVAC Contractor, Certified IAQ Specialist
31091390

i removed the thermostat on wall and the wire colors are white;yellow;red;blue;brown

Customer Question

i removed the thermostat on wall and the wire colors are white;yellow;red;blue;brown where do they go on the rh;rc;w;y;g how they mach up?
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Regan Land replied 4 years ago.

Hello. Welcome to JustAnswer.com. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'll be happy to assist you today.

The function of each wire will vary depending on how the original contractor hooked them up to the original thermostat. Typically red will go to RC (with a jumper to RH), white will go to W, yellow will go to Y, and green will go to G. Since you don't have a green, most likely either the brown or blue goes to G.

Do you happen to know which wires went to which terminals on the old thermostat? Was there a wire connected to a C terminal on the old thermostat?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
no idont know which wires went to which terminals and yes there was a wire connected to the c terminal but y dont know which one

Okay, we need to be careful then. The C terminal is the 24v common terminal. If you connect the wire that was connected to C on the old stat to any of the terminals on the new stat you will blow a low voltage fuse (if equipped) or a transformer.

What we need to do is verify the wire designations at the indoor unit. Can you access the unit? Also, do you have gas or electric heat?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
i have gas heat when connecting thermostat the furnace turned on wont turn off
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
how do i know if trasformer blew??
If the transformer blew then nothing would happen. Since the heat came on, the transformer isn't (at least wasn't) blown.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
how do i make furnuce turn off and ace turn on? i connectedwires white-w yellow-y red-rc brown-g what do i do withblue wire??
Does the furnace continue to run when the thermostat is off?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
yes furnace continues to run when the thermostat is off
Okay, try removing the white wire from the W terminal and see if the furnace turns off. Also, if you can access the furnace, remove both panels and look to see where the thermostat wires connect to. Mark down which wire color goes to each terminal and let me know.