BillyHvac
BillyHvac, Journeyman HVAC Tech
Experience:  Endorsed for unlimited heating, cooling, oil burners, boilers, refrigeration, hydronics
12672042

1700 SQ ft home, 4 ton 14 seer trane AC Heat pump with variable

1700 SQ ft home, 4 ton 14 seer trane AC Heat pump with variable speed air handler. Been running the unit for the last three weeks and getting lots of mildew smell from air handler. Overflow pan is dry and drain line seems clear. Had the unit serviced and ran it all winter with heat pump no problem. Suggestions? I was going to pull the filter in the air handler and spray some lysol in that space while the air was running? What do you think? AC is putting out cold as normal.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  BillyHvac replied 6 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
Billy :

Hello, this is a common issue with ac units. The ac coil gets moisture and bacteria begins to grow. Then during heating season it dries up. Then cooling comes along and the moisture just revitalizes the odor. This can be addressed by spraying the coil with a no rinse cleaner . See here for example - http://www.professionalequipment.com/nu-calgon-evaporator-coil-cleaner-disinfectant-evap-fresh-4166-75/cleaning-supplies/?source=pegs You can also find at many home improvement stores

Customer:

Can I spray it through the opening where the filter goes? I would hate to have to take the duct work apart. My house has a return in every room and it all ducts back to the main intake to the air handler. Major job to get that off. I don't think I can access the coils from the side panel where the blower and computer controls are located.

Billy :

that is the hard part.....access. To be effective it mmust be sprayed direct on coil

Customer:

If I have the air handler running and spray it into the filter slot wouldn't the intake air throw it on the coils?

Customer:

unit is mounted above garage horixontally

Billy :

It would benefit as it would having it directly shot into the fins. I understand your frustration...and anything is better than nothing...but to be done well will require direct injection

Customer:

ok, sounds like the solution is the liquid. Don't think Lysol would work? Could lysol hurt the coils?