Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial

I have a Honeywell/Beckett R7184B burner that has an igniter

Customer Question

I have a Honeywell/Beckett R7184B burner that has an igniter diagnostic LED that is flashing in 1/2 second intervals. Tried to reset it but won't. Any suggestions on how to override it?
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Phil replied 6 years ago.

Hi, I can answer your question, lets handle them one at a time. Click 'accept' when you are satisfied.. or we can get another expert.

Does the burner ignite and operate properly? and all you have is this flashing LED signal... or does the burner also fail to ignite?

-Could you explain your situation a little more?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
On Friday the unit was working fine. Saturday, only the fan was working and the burner would not kick on and produce heat. I went to the unit and the LED was flashing in the 1/2 second mode. Tried turning on and off and holding the button down to reset but still just keeps flashing in the 1/2 second intervals. Do I need to call service person as it indicates on the control panel or is there something else I can do to reset it?
Expert:  Phil replied 6 years ago.

hello again... we can do what we can from here to sort out the issue, that may take some back and forth checking etc... if that fails then call a service person.. if you are handy with tools odds are about 80% you can get it going yourself with some guidance.

Do this.

Look at the burner, and for the spark ignition rod(s) next to the burner... see if you can restart the there sparking at the rods?

If not, turn off the power and use light sand paper to clean off the rods and try again.

Get back to me.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
OK I see if I can do that. It will be a couple of hours. Thanks
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Sorry but couldn't get to the spark ignition rods. We'll have to call a tech unless you have any other ideas. Please let me know. Thanks!
Expert:  Phil replied 6 years ago.

Hello again, sounds like its time to call a tech.. at least you have something of a hint now.

Expert:  Phil replied 6 years ago.
Hello again! Please let me know how its going on your end. Thanks!