Rick, HVAC Supervisor
Experience:  40+ yrs. experience as a licensed oil & gas technician.

MY HOUSE IS APPROXIMATELY 1,400 SQ FEET. WHAT SIZE FURNACE DO I NEED FOR MY HOUSE? IT IS A THREE BEDROOM,,,1 1/2 BATH ALL ON ONE FLOOR HOME.,,One furnace company said I needed a 100,000 BTU size and another furnace company said that would be too big for existing duct system and suggested a smaller furnace like 80,000 BTU size. I am getting confused,,,,,and don't know about furnaces........I am a widow with no guy around that knows about these things,,,,,,,,any thoughts? thanks

It is difficult to size a furnace properly without doing a heat loss analysis but generally speaking even an 80,000 btu furnace sounds a bit large for a house of this size. It is true that if the furnace is too large for the installed ductwork you will have problems. You should get at least 3 or 4 bids before making a decision and be sure to ask for and checkout their references.