Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial
23932409

I have a Rheem Furnace Model number RGPH-07EAUER. It is on

Customer Question

I have a Rheem Furnace Model number RGPH-07EAUER. It is on and the control board show two green lights. There is a third XXXXX XXXXXght that comes on when the gas is ignited but it will blink and then suddenly the burner shuts off. It will cycle through this about two or three times and then the unit will stop. This was a periodic problem that would fix itself and now it seems to be a conitinuous problem. We current have no heat and I need a fix for this please. I have found what looks like three sensors that I think detects the burner working or not. I am curious how do I see if those sensors are working properly or not and whether or not it is the control board.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Phil replied 6 years ago.

Hi, I can answer your question, lets handle them one at a time. Click 'accept' when you are satisfied.. or we can get another expert.

it sounds like a pilot flame sensor issue... inspect the pilot flame and how it impinges on the flame sensor rod, get back to me with what you see.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
There is no pilot or flame it is an electronic ignition. When the unit starts it clicks to ignite and then the burner will stay lit until for some reason the burner just shuts itself off after a couple of seconds. This happens about two or three times until the unit quits. The Burner actually ignites each time and quits automatically.

Expert:  Phil replied 6 years ago.

Hello again...what is happening is that there is a flame sensor rod and control, that is not sensing flame, after a few seconds it will shut the burner down. Odds are that is the problem.

The ignition obviously works..so you get ignition, but not flame sensing. Inspect the burner and locate the flame sensor rod, notice if it has any corrosion on it. or the flame for some reason is not impinging on the rod well .. let me know what the situation is.

thanks

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
There doesn't appear to be any corrosion and when the burner lights it seems to be directly in line with the flame. is there a way to check this part with a ohm or volt meter perhaps? Likewise, any idea on where I can purchase this part to eliminate it as an option. Or do you have any idea on where I can get a manual and part numbers for this unit?
Expert:  Phil replied 6 years ago.

Hello again, its electronic, not easily testable. .. slight variances can cause failure your idea to replace is good.. its not an expensive part. try reconnecting its wire connections and cleaning it off with steel wool first though.

look in you phone directory under 'air conditioning' find the Rheem, in the US thats Ferguson Plumbing and Geating Supply as a rule. *wholesaler./ distributor... take the part to them and ask for a replacement, and while you are there talk with one of their older counter men a bit about how common a failure that is.

If you need help in finding a distributor let me know the name of the nearest city over 20,000 people and I will look it up on Google for you.

to take the chill off in the meantime, 15 dollar type portable electric heaters work pretty well. one or two will do it.

Expert:  Phil replied 6 years ago.
Thanks for the accept.... stay in touch however, no charge as long as this thread is alive for further assistance, Phil
Expert:  Phil replied 6 years ago.
For emergency heat, 15 dollar electric portables work well... 1 or 2 will do it