Tom, HVAC Technician
Experience:  16+yrs HVAC/R service. Residential Commerical Industrial

I am replacing a single pole baseboard thermostat with a double

I am replacing a single pole baseboard thermostat with a double pole thermostat (Honeywell CT410B). The single pole thermostat had two black wires connected to it. There were also two white wires that were connected together but not to the thermostat. How do I connect those wires to double pole thermostat with L1, L2, T1 and T2?

Does the heater have one black and one white coming from it?

Just want to make sure I understand.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
There are two sets of white and black wires, but only the black wires were connected to the single pole thermostat. I want to connect it to a double pole thermostat.

Ok, got that....

I thought maybe you could tell which wires were being routed from the heater and which ones from the power supply.

If not,, connect one black to L1 and one white to L2 connect the other black to T1 and the other white to T2.

That should make it work if the heat element is OK.

Let me know how it works out.

After drawing it out...I think either way should have worked. If you connected the two blacks to L and the two whites to T and it didn't trip the breaker then you probably have a bad heat element.

Do you have a volt meter?