gotoman for ac
gotoman for ac, HVAC Technician
Experience:  51 years of experience install design and repair of all makes and models of AC
19613070

Have Carrier model 58RAV, 12 yrs. old. Woke up this AM turned

Have Carrier model 58RAV, 12 yrs. old. Woke up this AM turned thermostat up to warm home. When the blower motor came on the speed was low. I also tried Cool same results low blower speed. Checked LED light at furnace control panel steady red. Tried new thermostat to no resolve. Suspect solid state Main Control Board, Z6-1012-940-JHK42FZ007-32CW, replace. Any ideas to confirm my thoughts?
Category: HVAC
Expert:  gotoman for ac replied 4 years ago.
Solid red no other lights active correct. Russ
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yes solid Red LED at furnace, also tried new thermostat, on change. Reinstalled original Honeywell thermostat. Tried full Cool & heat LOW Blower speed only.

Regards, Tim
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yes solid Red LED at furnace, also tried new thermostat, on change. Reinstalled original Honeywell thermostat. Tried full Cool & heat LOW Blower speed only. Regards, Tim

Does anything work. Cool or heat. Russ

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Russ,

Yes to all if. I set the thermostat for Heat or Cool, either A/C unit (outside) or gas (heat) furnace comes on .... But the force of the air coming out of the vent is low. Cold air return filter has been changed also. When our home was purchased new the tech asked if we wanted more force of air out of the vents which we op-ed for due to high vaulted ceilings. The tech went to the Master control panel and move the positions of some wires I believe and the air force coming out of the vents has been much higher than presently for the past 12 years. One can hardly hear the air coming out of the vents persently. But it does heat and cool depending on your thermostat setting.

Regards, Tim
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Russ, Yes to all if. I set the thermostat for Heat or Cool, either A/C unit (outside) or gas (heat) furnace comes on .... But the force of the air coming out of the vent is low. Cold air return filter has been changed also. When our home was purchased new the tech asked if we wanted more force of air out of the vents which we op-ed for due to high vaulted ceilings. The tech went to the Master control panel and move the positions of some wires I believe and the air force coming out of the vents has been much higher than presently for the past 12 years. One can hardly hear the air coming out of the vents persently. But it does heat and cool depending on your thermostat setting. Regards, Tim
Pulled manual on your furnace to check motor. Just need to ask if you have been running your cooling. If so it may be iced up. That would block some air flow. If not you have bad motor or board. Two speeds go thru board low speed for heat and high for cool. If it is not going to high speed it is the board. You can check this by putting a jumper at furnace board from R to Y and if fan still runs slow, it is board. Russ
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Russ,

I haven't been using the A/C only momentarily as a test for the blower speed. Looking at my schematics and I see 4 spade connectors at the BLOWER SPEED SELECTOR:
Cool Blk. (Hi) SPARE-1 Yel. (Med Hi)
Heat Blu. (Med Lo) SPARE-2 RED (LO)
These wires go to the Blower Motor Are these the two wires red & yel. your referring to?
Above these spade connectors soldiered into the solid state control board is listed a HI/LO Relay?
My thoughts are that if I were to jumper 115 VAC to the Blk. wire directly my blower motor should come on High if the motor is good proving the panel bad. What do you think?

Regards, Tim

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Russ,

Cool Blk. (Hi) SPARE-1 Yel. (Med Hi)
Heat Blu. (Med Lo) SPARE-2 RED (LO)

Regards, Tim
Tim Do not do that.. Might get two speeds across motor. Take the Low and high on board and switch high to low and low to high spade. Let me know what happens. Turn power off first. Russ
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Russ,
I'll get back to you in about 1/2 hour I must access my attic to get access.

Regards, Tim
OK
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Russ,

No change in blower motor speed. Put wires back onto there original spade connectors. Checked speed again. Still the same low blower speed.

Regards, Tim

Tim does motor seem like it is running hot or backwards. There is a run capacitor on the blower housing. Small oval silver cannister with two wires out the top. See if that is swollen or puffy. If it is that is the problem. Russ

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Russ,

I am getting a positive flow out of the vents and suction at the cold air return intake. I'll check the capacitor and get back to you shortly.

Regards, Tim
Ok I will be here.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Russ,

To access motor capacitor I will have to remove Main control panel, remove motor from it's cage and cover from capacitor on motor. But .... motor DOES NOT LABOR on start-up. It snaps right up to running RPM. Also rechecked cold air return with smoking paper... It draws smoke in.

Regards, Tim
OK motor is going at right RPM. Tim have you checked ductwork to see if it has come loose. Russ
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Another visit to the attic...all ducting is in place.

Regards, Tim
Tim does motor seem to be on high speed. Russ
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Russ,

No compared to normal much quieter and low speed, less volume out of ducts.

Regards, Tim
Sounds like motor problem Tim. If it was running on high you would know. You say there is no change in fan speed from low to high. correct. Russ
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Correct ....NO MOTOR SPEED CHANGING with wire speed shuffling. I've price the motor Z9-58RAVC-86CW ...... $469.43.

I thank you for your time walking me through the T/S procedures.I feel confident it's time to order the motor. I will accept your answer.Russ ... do you concur?
You do not have to spend that much on motor. Give me a minute to check a web site . Russ
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
OK, Thank you. And standing by.

Regards, Tim
Go to website www.americanhvacparts.com Type in MOT41SE121A at top right. a picture of motor will come up. That is your motor. 189.00 Russ
gotoman for ac, HVAC Technician
Experience: 51 years of experience install design and repair of all makes and models of AC
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Russ, Thank you again. I Accept your Answer and help.