Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial

I have a lennox gcs20r 411-100-4p the outside fan is not turning,

Customer Question

I have a lennox gcs20r 411-100-4p the outside fan is not turning, yet air is blowing in the house but not cool, the rest of the unit is on though I went out side and I cant even find the power switch or fuse boxes, Im a pretty decent mechanical /fix it guy but I dont see anything, I took off some panels and didnt see anything but wires, there are not switches or boxes associated with this unit that I can see, how can I find the fuse box and see if thats what the problem is? The breaker box in my house doesnt have a "AC" label either
Category: HVAC
Expert:  BillyHvac replied 6 years ago.

This called old school troubleshooting. You will literally have to follow the main power wires out of the ac and track their path.

Sometimes you find a disconnect in the rafters in basement...maybe none(not code)...the end result is you will have to physically follow them to find where power originates.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
The only thing leaving this unit and going anywhere takes a direct beeline into the ground, theres nothing to follow , this home has no basement, I was hoping someone with knowledge of this unit would be able to tell me where to look, before I have to call in a repair guy $$$$$
Expert:  BillyHvac replied 6 years ago.

It is not the is the field wiring to the unit. Is there not a rectangle box on the side of the unit with a door that opens?

Fuses or breaker inside?

If not it was installed against code.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I've taken off every panel on the unit and snooped around, I saw alot of "stuff" (wires, capacitors?) but no switch, or fuses that I can see, I have seen units with just a box, and a lever style cutoff switch, but I see nothing like that here
Expert:  BillyHvac replied 6 years ago.

Then I can only guess that the unit was wired with a direct feed from the box.

I encourage you to be very cautious...this is not a safe situation.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.