gotoman for ac
gotoman for ac, HVAC Technician
Experience:  51 years of experience install design and repair of all makes and models of AC
19613070

I have a Janitrol out door heatpump (CPE24-1AB) and a Goodman

I have a Janitrol out door heatpump (CPE24-1AB) and a Goodman indoor Airhandler system (A30-10). History: June/2009, the heat pump would not cycle off remotely via the thermostat without tapping the heatpump switch. Thereafter, it would not cycle on with out tapping it again. Always heard a humming so, I knew power was good. Change the switch and capacitor for good measure and it worked for 2 months, then the fan failed. purchased a new fan Aug/2009 [original fan was incorrect - lower capacity fan motor], and it worked excellent until the past month [though, vibration was greater]. Heatpump will not come on in either heat/cold setting causing Aux heat to react. However, I can hear the fan switch contacts switching on and off when power is applied. Inspected the heat pump and found that the yellow wire that connects to the Capacitor (HERM) was disconnected. Reconnected--no fix. Replaced the heatpump circut board no fix.
Q. I know the tranducer is probably good because the contact works, but if one of the wires for the fan have disconnected/broken because of vibration, could this cause the same fail?
Category: HVAC
Expert:  gotoman for ac replied 4 years ago.
Yes this could cause same problem. Are you getting 220 volts to outside unit. Russ
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Sorry for taking so long, the answer is yes. Voltage is good to the unit

Go to unit outside . Take yellow control wire from thermostat jump to contacter. If unit runs you have a board problem or refrigerant problem. This needs to be done when unit is calling for cool. Also you need to check the charge on system to see if you have refrigerant. Russ
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I will do as you suggest but just want to make it clear that a new (tested good) circut board was replaced on Monday. Cost about $58.00, figured it wouild be a cheap fix however; the problem still exist. The contactor is switching on and off but no power ouy put.
Did you check charge on system? Did you bypass board and jump yellow to contactor. Russ
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Sorry, but was out of town [Law enforcement business] here's the thing, ! believe that even if the refrigerant was low, the fan would work but the air would be warm. The compressor and fan need 220-244vac to run but the contactor remains open. Nothing is coming on. All you hear is a clicking sound, no humming. The circut board has been replaced and now the double pole contactor has been replaced, same result I have 244vac coming in but the contacts are not closing. When I remove the small panel cover off the DP30242 contactor and manually push down the relays ...it works. Its missing the input power to close contacts I guess.

It has been awhile does fan inside work. If so on the outside unit check voltage from yellow control wire to ground to see if you are getting 24 volt to unit when it is calling for Cool. Russ
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
inside air-handler fan is running thermostat is calling for cool, checked the voltage on yellow contact to ground and receiving 0 volts.
Go air handler inside and do same check on yellow wire. Also check to see if there is float switch in drain line that might be open. Russ
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Okay, this will take a minute. airhandler is in unfinished attic.

Ok I will be here. Russ

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Reading 0 volts but not sure if in right Place Russ, I will have to have an expert Come out
One more thing go to thermostat pull off tstat from sub base and check fromR to Y Let me know what voltage is. Russ
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

System shuts down with face plate removed Russ however; voltage before and after it shut off was less than 1

You have broken or open wire somewhere. So it is time to call a service tech. They can be hard to find if you do not know what your looking for. The hardest part of this job is not being able to talk on phone and get instant feedback. Be a lot quicker and easier on you. Russ No fix no pay
gotoman for ac, HVAC Technician
Experience: 51 years of experience install design and repair of all makes and models of AC