gotoman for ac
gotoman for ac, HVAC Technician
Experience:  51 years of experience install design and repair of all makes and models of AC
19613070

I have a 6 ton Envision Water Furnace. I have 3 zones each

Customer Question

I have a 6 ton Envision Water Furnace. I have 3 zones each with a basic thermostat. I recently had a failure with one of my pumps and was on resistive heating for a month and only realized there was an issue when I received my $900+ electric bill. I know that there are better thermostats available that will let me know if there is an issue without having to go to the basement and check every few days and ask my dealer to get one and install it for me. He said that because I had multiple zones, he didn't know if I could use one of the more informative thermostats and he would need to check with support.... Tired of waiting as I haven't heard back in over a week on something that should be as simple as yes/no. I can't imagine why I couldn't use a better thermostat - regardless of multiple zones.

Can I use a better thermostat that will inform me about fault conditions? Any recommendations?

Thanks,
Joe
Category: HVAC
Expert:  gotoman for ac replied 4 years ago.

The Honeywell Vision Pro 8000 has a aux. heat indicator lite that tell you the Aux. heat is on. The system that would work for you is made by Honeywell but you would have to put in sensor and new thermostats. Rus

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I dont need a new system - mine is less than a year old
I want to know if I can use one of the thermostats that water furnace suggests that alert me to faults in a multizone configuration like the " TP32W02"
Most thermostats have fault light that is hooked directly to condensing unit that would light up if a fault occurs on the unit. What your asking is a little more than a thermostat can do. It would have to be rewired and sensors added on each zone. None of the Water Furnace thermostats have this for a zone system. Rus Old GE/Trane Engineer
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Relist: additional:
as it can be wired for a single zone system to provide alerts as to the status of the unit...

it likely can be wired for a multizone system.

water furnace to zone controller to 3 thermostats

water furnace additional wiring that provide alert status (it does this already) simply connected to the alert notifying thermostat via a couple addtional wires (jumped past the zone controller) the thermostat I mentioned does notify of alerts

This seems quite simple to me as someone with a relatively good understanding of basic circuits and electrical connections.....

but I am asking to be sure - I really don't think we are on the same page... or you simply have not convinced me with your answers or perhaps I am missing something completely

all I want to know is if there is an issue with my unit - not for it to advise me of just emergency mode..
additional:

all I want to know is if there is an issue with my unit - not for it to advise me of just emergency mode.
I will opt out and get another expert involved here. I understand what you want and have wired many units this way but it was more involved with energy managment system. Rus
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
thanks
You are welcome. Rus
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Relist: Rus was planning to turn this over to someone else - I have not heard anything further..
Rus was planning to turn this over to someone else - I have not heard anything further.