Charles
Charles, HVAC Contractor
Experience:  State Lic. HVAC Contractor. 20 yrs field exp. Repairs and installtions.
14259535

I need a wiring diagram for a Trane residential evaporator

I need a wiring diagram for a Trane residential evaporator unit. It is a single stage air cooled heat pump with three stages of aux electric heat. It was purchased and installed in 2001. I just need to wire a new thermostat and rewire the condensing unit controls.
Thanks,
Jeff
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Regan Land replied 4 years ago.

Hello. Welcome to JustAnswer.com. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'll be happy to assist you today.

You are looking for the factory wiring diagram, correct? If so, can you get me the full model # XXXXX the air handler?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I will not be back home until tonight to get that model number. I was hopeing you would have some failry standard Trane wiring information. I'm competent enough to know where to land most of the wires, there are a few terminals that are throwing me for a loop. If you can't supply me with something now, I'll have to get back with you tonight.

Thanks.

There are several different Trane air handlers including the variable and non variable speed, communicating, etc. I can get you a wiring diagram, but the only way to ensure I get you the correct one (with matching wire colors etc) I will need the model #.

I'll go ahead and get you a diagram based on the answers you give to the following questions, but you will need to verify that it's correct when you get home.

Is your air handler variable speed?

Is it in the upflow, downflow or horizontal position?

Now, if all you're doing is hooking up a new thermostat, I can most likely help you without using a factory diagram. Do you have the terminal designations for the thermostat, air handler and condenser?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

The unit is a variable speed vertical upflow unit.

I don't have the terminal designations, but it didn't exactly match what was on the new stat. Just get me what you can find now so I have something to try tonight. If it does not work, I'll get the exact model number.

Thanks.

Okay, page 12 of the following document has the typical low voltage wiring for the Trane variable speed air handler with single stage heat pump.

https://www.asdealernet.com/Resources/Literature/pdf/18-GE04D2-10.pdf

Let me know if that will work for you or if you need further assistance.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Sorry, the manual didn't match the unit.
I need a wiring diagram connect a thermostat to evaporator unit.
This is a Trane unit. the Model number is XXXXX
Thanks.
I can't find a good document on the Trane RWE... What terminal designations do you have on the thermostat, air handler and heat pump?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
(R) (0) (B) (W3) (W2) (W1)
(G) (T) (BK) (Y) (Y/0)

LAID OUT JUST LIKE THAT.
That is the thermostat, correct? If you are just replacing the thermostat, you shouldn't need to re-wire the condensing unit.

What color are the wires and do you know where each hooked up on the old thermostat?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I'M NOT SURE EXACTLY HOW THE OLD THERMOSTAT WAS WAS TERMINATED - AT THE THERMOSTAT. I DO KNOW THAT THE WIRE FROM THE THERMOSTAT WAS WIRED AS FOLLOWS (CONDENSING UNIT = WIRE 1, EVAP. = WIRE 2):
R - RED 1 & 2
O - ORANGE 1 & 2
B - BLUE 1 & 2
W3 - WHITE 1 & 2
W2 - JUMPERED TO W3
W1 - JUMPERED TO W2

G - GREEN 2
T - UNWIRED
BK - UNWIRED
Y - YELLOW 1 & 2
Y/0 - UNWIRED

Okay, so thats the old thermostat... what are you unsure about with the new thermostat?

You are trying to hook up a new thermostat, right? Am understanding this correctly?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I JUST NEED THE MANUAL
Okay, I will be happy to help you hook it up, which we can do without the manual... but since I can't locate it I will opt-out and see if another expert has better access to older Trane manuals that I do...
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
OK. EVAPORATOR UNIT TERMINALS (R,0,B,W3,W2,W1,G,T,BK,Y,Y/O)
THE WIRING DIAGRAM FOR MY THERMOSTAT IS HERE:
http://www.ecobee.com/technician/product/diagrams/dia/26
HOW DO I WIRE IT UP?

Okay, wire as follows:

I will label each in order with equipment interface to air handler to condenser

Y to Y to Y

W O/B to O to O

G to G to N/A

W2 AUX to W1 (with Jumper to W2 & W3) to W1

RH (with jumper to RC and one of the 24vac terminals on the top left) to R to R

The other 24vac terminal on the top left to C to C

Of course you will need a wire from the interface to the thermostat where you will hook D- to D-, D+ to D+, etc.

Does this help?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
NOTHING WORKS NOW. THERE WAS A WIRE FROM THE STAT AND THE CONDENSING UNIT LANDED ON THE B TERMINAL ON THE EVAPORATOR UNIT BEFORE.
Okay, we will need to look for a car style fuse (3 or 5 amp) in the furnace. Look on the control board and on the low voltage wires from the transformer.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
FOUND THE FUSE & CHECKED WITH A METER. ITS BLOWN. I'LL REPLACE IT TOMORROW AND GET BACK WITH YOU.
THANKS FOR YOUR HELP.
No problem!
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
changed the fuse. Everything is working in test mode. The heat pump heat and aux heat is only coming on when I have the fan in the "on" position. Nothing will run with it in the "auto" position.
Expert:  Charles replied 4 years ago.

Hello

I think you guys could use this I believe its the right manual with the correct schematic with all the wiring info you should need.

It list your model number on the manual. page 13 has the thermostat air handler and the outdoor unit connections listed .

http://www.trane.com/webcache/un/split%20system%20air%20conditioners%20(ss)/product/22-1713-01%20en_12011999.pdf

If I can help further let me know.

Edited by Charles on 3/21/2010 at 7:09 AM EST
Charles, HVAC Contractor
Experience: State Lic. HVAC Contractor. 20 yrs field exp. Repairs and installtions.