Regan Land
Regan Land, HVAC Technician
Experience:  18 years of experience, NATE Certified, Licensed HVAC Contractor, Certified IAQ Specialist

I have a 4 year old Ruud waterheater with a Robertshaw AP12556-2

I have a 4 year old Ruud waterheater with a Robertshaw AP12556-2 gas valve. Three days ago the heater overflowed and the LED on the valve began flashing constantly. The heater still works fine. I cut power to the heater to try to reset the LED, but it came back on flashing. What's the problem and what's the solution?
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Regan Land replied 6 years ago.

Hello. Welcome to My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'll be happy to assist you today.

The constant flashing is an indication that the valve may be going bad (or at least the diagnostic function is faulty). It might be advisable to look for a replacement while it's still working. If you decide to replace it your best bet would be to locate a Ruud distributor nearby or call Ruud at 1-800-621-5622

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
What about the initial overflow. How is that related to a faulty gas valve?

The the water come from the pressure relief valve? If so, the valve may have stuck open and overheated the water.

The continuous flashing is what tells me that the valve is (or thinks it is) in need of replacement.