Regan Land
Regan Land, HVAC Technician
Experience:  18 years of experience, NATE Certified, Licensed HVAC Contractor, Certified IAQ Specialist
31091390

My gas furnace runs for a few seconds and goes off. How do I fix this?

My gas furnace won't stay on. It ignites and runs for a few seconds and goes out there is some water coming down the flue with this heavy rain. I disconnected the flue, vacuumed it out dried every thing out but it's still raining and water keeps dripping in.

There is a flame rod inserted into burner, It is about 3 inches long and has on wire coming off of it. Clean rod and retry furnace.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Couldn't find flame rod connected flue and tried again no success.

Can you get the full model # of the furnace? It will be on a tag inside the burner compartment accessible by removing top panel.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

It may be a Bryant 395cav042091

Okay, great. Now, before we go any further, you said there was water coming down the flu... is it coming inside or outside the flu?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Both just a drip

Okay, I just want to make sure the water isn't getting inside the burners or on the electrical components. Let's go ahead and clean the flame sensor (be sure to unplug furnace first). The tip will be directly in the flames and can be cleaned with steel wool (see pic below). Now, plug the furnace back in and check heat.

Cleaning the Bryant gas furnace flame sensor

Regan Land, HVAC Technician
Experience: 18 years of experience, NATE Certified, Licensed HVAC Contractor, Certified IAQ Specialist