Rick, HVAC Supervisor
Experience:  40+ yrs. experience as a licensed oil & gas technician.

My oil furnace will not start. All i hear is a humming noise,

My oil furnace will not start. All i hear is a humming noise, I have pressed the reset button and it seems to crank up but within a few seconds it shuts off and a red light comes on. I ran out of oil 2 days ago and the furnace kept humming but of course no heat or hot water. Today my oil was deliver at 6:30 am and now its 10:30 am and it is still humming and a red light. Whats the problem?
HiCustomerbr />
You need to purge the air out of the oil line. If you have a Honeywell 7184 ignition control (the one with the reset button) you will need to hold down the button for at least 30 seconds to unlock it so you can bleed the line. Here are instructions on how to bleed the line if you want to try this yourself

If you ran out of oil you do need to purge the air from the oil line. To do this you need a 3/8" (typically) open end wrench, a small container to catch the oil and a small piece of 1/4" od rubber tubing (the tubing isn't vital it just makes it a little easier). Locate the bleed fitting on the oil pump (on the left side of the oil burner where the oil line connects) it has a hex with a small hose barb protruding. Position your container directly below it. Loosen the hex. You will get a little oil and maybe a few bubbles. Now hit the reset button on the burner and let it run until its a steady stream of oil (no bubbles). Tighten the hex back up and you're done. You may need to hit the reset more than once