Regan Land
Regan Land, HVAC Technician
Experience:  18 years of experience, NATE Certified, Licensed HVAC Contractor, Certified IAQ Specialist
31091390

How to light a Lennox G8 pilot light?

The switch you would turn from "off" to "pilot" is on the gas valve. When you turn it to "pilot" and press the knob down, you should hear gas flowing out of the pilot tube.

The metal plates you see are most likely diverters for the pilot flame. Just hold the match next to the metal plates (while holding the knob on the gas valve down) to light. After it’s lit, continue holding the knob down for 60 seconds, then release. If pilot stays lit, turn the know to "on" and the heat should start working. If the pilot shuts off after you let go of the knob, you may need a new thermocouple.

Read full interaction below »

How do I light the pilot of an old Lennox G8 furnace? The instructions state that I should press Light Pilot for 60 seconds after switching from Off to Pilot, but I do not find a Light Pilot button. I also tried lighting it with a match, but the pilot seems to be surrounded by protective metal plates, so I can't reach it.

Category: HVAC

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Great! Thanks. The vital clue was to hear the gas flow.
No problem!