Bart Jay
Bart Jay, HVAC Technician
Experience:  35 years in HVAC. NATE Certified EPA certified
27654466

We have a gas furnace Goodman brand. The propane tank ran out

Customer Question

We have a gas furnace Goodman brand. The propane tank ran out over night and now the furnace won't come back on. It should not be a propane problem as the cooking stove and water heater are both lit and running again. We have a furnace in the basement and a furnace on the main floor and neither will start again. Any ideas? We have pressed reset on the wall thermostat. Turned up the temp on the wall thermostat. Nothing has worked so far. Should there be a reset button on the furnace itself?
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Bart Jay replied 4 years ago.

There probably is air in the line feeding the heaters and need to be bleed out or reset a few of times to get the air out by itself.

The furnaces should have LED lights blinking giving a fault code. Count the blinks.

Turn the furnace off at the switch and watch for normal sequence,draft inducer starts, ingnitor glows, gas valve open. You may hear the gas or air flow. If the ingnitor glows but no ignition try it once or twice more and see what happens.

Let me know

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Just bypassed the thermostat on the upstairs furnace and it worked. So it would seem that there is a thermostat problem on the upstairs furnace. Checking the downstairs furnace next.
Expert:  Bart Jay replied 4 years ago.
What do you mean by bypassed. How did you do that?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
We took a paper clip and bypassed the circuit inside the digital thermostat. Discovered that the battery compartment had corrosion and took care of that and now the furnace is running. The downstairs furnace we did the same thing. We bypassed the circuit with a paper clip and that started the furnace and then it stayed running. We're not sure exactly how that worked, bur it did and we are set. Thanks.
Expert:  Bart Jay replied 4 years ago.
If you put that stat back on does it work?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yes the thermostat is working now and the furnace is working. Everything is back to normal. Thanks.
Expert:  Bart Jay replied 4 years ago.
Ok Good Luck