Richard, Technical Manager
Experience:  27 years of Experience, NATE Certified, professional trainer
29828770

My goodman heat pump only runs on emergency heat, why How

My goodman heat pump only runs on emergency heat, why? How do I get the heat pump to run? I can select emergency heat "OFF" at the thermostat with no change.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Richard replied 4 years ago.

Hello

It sounds like you have a problem with the heat pump. The heat pump is your first stage of heat. What you might want to do is one of two things.

1) go outside and take the cover off of the control box. There will be a board with blinking lights. It will flash a code ( number of blinks) look on the cover for the meaning and let me know what it says.

2) If you turn power off to the heat pump ( turn breaker on and off) this should reset the system, however if there is a code it will reset as well.

Do these things if you can and let me know what happens.

Thank you

if I answered your questions please click the accept button.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I have two identical units, installed July 2008. I just realized that the outside unit runs when the heat pump is running. NEVER has run with heat on either of them, power has been off several times in the past month, do I still need to shut off & back on?
Expert:  Richard replied 4 years ago.

hello

The outdoor units are the heat pumps, they should run when the thermostat calls for heat. Your back up heat may come on as well if the heat pump can not reach the temp due to cold outdoor temps. This is called staging, if you turn the system to emergency heat just the strip heat or elements should be on.

Often the heat pumps can not maintain temperature when it is cold outside so supplemental heat is needed as well.

So if I understand the outdoor units are working? Then no need to reset.

Let me know

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

They work fine when air conditioning is used, if that is what you mean. We have had some extreme cold for this part of Texas, but shouldn't the heat pump work with an outddor temp over 50 degrees? Is there an outdoor/indoor tempurature differencial that automatically turns on the emergency heat?

Expert:  Richard replied 4 years ago.

Hello

There is not a sensor so to speak this is done in the thermostat. Maybe I missed something was the outdoor unit working? and just not heating?

Also, seeing your in Texas if your far South these units could be straight cooling even though your hooked up to an air handler. The model you gave was for the inside unit can you tell me the models of the units outside.

Thank you

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
The outside unit does not come on at all unless cooling. No, we still need heat here. We've had 10" of snow in the past month. Outside model # XXXXX
Expert:  Richard replied 4 years ago.

Hello

I see this is a heat pump and a serial communicating system. Is you thermostat a touch screen? If yes i am going to have you run through the diagnostics

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
no, it is an Amana 1F95-398
Expert:  Richard replied 4 years ago.

Hello

Ok if you can ,disconnect power at the breakers then turn it back on. Also, are you able to go outside and take the control cover off, this unit may has a little black comfort alert diagnostic box on it. There will be three lights Red, Green and Yellow if you could tell me what they are doing.

Thank you

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Outside unit? I did not see any lights.

Expert:  Richard replied 4 years ago.

Hello

When you took the cover off outside there should have been a little black box labeled comfort control or a board that should have has LED's on it. Did you see anything like this?

Also, when you turn power off and back on will it attempt to start on a call for heat? Make sure you do not have the thermostat set to Emergency heat

Let me know

Thank you

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
No LED's. No box labeled comfort control. Circuit board, a black part with wires all over it, and a metal cylinder a little smaller than a coke can.
Expert:  Richard replied 4 years ago.
Hello. if there were no lights on the circit board maybe there is lights on the board in the air handler. it is very unsual not to have lights on the outdoor unit, can you check the circit braker and make sure its on while I search for the manual. Thank you.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
all is on.
Expert:  Richard replied 4 years ago.

Hello

So everything is running now? Did this happen after you reset the power?

Thank you

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Emergency heat is on. Still no heat pump function. Same as before.

Expert:  Richard replied 4 years ago.

Hello

I am not sure how much you can do. if you have a meter we will need to take some readings to see where we have voltage and where we don't.

The only thing I see on the diagram is there is a Hi pressure switch on the outdoor unit. Most of these have a red or black rubber button that you can push to set ( push firmly)

Do you have a volt meter you can use? The information I found on this unit is very vague and list it with several different control set ups.

One last this is diagnostics light on the air handler. If it is possible to take the door off and check that as well. Without some sort of light code I am not sure where to tell you to begin.

There are several things we can do just let me know how comfortable you are with working near the high voltage. I do apologize i am just having difficulty finding information on the controls in that unit. If I can't get you there soon i will opt out and see if another expert can help.

let me know how far you would like to continue.

Thank you

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I have already taken the cover off of the air handler and there are no lights in there either. I managed to find the wiring information in the closet and everything seemed to be correct in my uneducated opinion. I have a volt meter, somewhat comfortable with voltage.

I will go out and look for the button on the outside unit.

Expert:  Richard replied 4 years ago.

Hello

let me know what you find

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

In my curiosity, I also took the thermostat apart. The wires did not match the documentation that came with it....so I changed them. Heat pump is now working...but the blower will not stop; even when I turn the system OFF with the thermostat. Fixed one created another.

I moved two wires (yellow & black) over one space to match the drawing I have. What now?

Expert:  Richard replied 4 years ago.

Hello

Ok, now I really am confused. as this ever worked? When was this unit installed?

I am going to look up the thermostat, what terminals did they go to.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
No, the heat pump has NEVER worked...air conditioning and emergengy heat have always worked. Installed July 2008, just now realizing that it has never run outside with the heat on. The yellow wire was previously in the Y2 terminal, now is in Y1. Black was in the Y1 and in now in B. I was mistaken about the fan running.....the fan and the compressor are both running even with the system OFF. So I did something wrong, but I know my compressor is still working.
Expert:  Richard replied 4 years ago.

Hello

It sounds like someone mis wired it from the beginning. The diagram I show for this unit has a two stage scroll compressor.

We are going to have to start from scratch with the wiring because i don't think the colors are going to match anyway. At least at this point I don't trust the guy who wired it.

How are you at wiring. it should not be to complicated.

Start at the out door unit and look and see what color wires they have matched to the factory wires. Then we will go to the air handler and match that

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Fine with wiring. Don't want to sound like a wimp, but can we start with the inside wires? Dark,40 degrees, raining and muddy outside. If you can walk me through this I will pay you much better than offered. Really appreciate your persistence.
Expert:  Richard replied 4 years ago.

We can but i just hope he used the correct colors, they could have used any color. With that said find the bundle of wires that come from out side. There should be 6 wires tell me the colors

Red/White/orange/ Blue/Black? Yellow and ?

Thank you

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Blue/Red/Brown/White/Yellow/Black/Orange/Green
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
blue/ red/ brown/ white/ yellow/ black/ orange/ green
Expert:  Richard replied 4 years ago.

Hello

If you at the air handler those should go to the thermostat there should be another bunch of wires that went to the outdoor unit they will have 2 less wires 5 of them go to the air handler and one will wire nut to the other group

Is this what you see?

I can send you the wire diagrams if they are not there

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I was just looking at the thermostat, sorry.

The air handler has the following colors in larger wires labeled "to thermostat" blue, green, white, red, yellow, purple, brown , and orange. Orange is not connected to anything(wire nut on end). The small orange wire coming to the air handler from the thermostat is connected to the brown wire in the air handler in this group.

Also in the air handler is a bundle labeled "to condenser" brown, yellow, red, blue, orange. This orange wire is also not connected to anything. The smaller wires attached to the going to the condenser contain black and white that are tied back and not connected to anything.

looking complicated to me, be specific in your answer or I'll really mess tis up.

Expert:  Richard replied 4 years ago.

Hello

In the air handler is there any wires on the O terminal, I don't care what color just if there is one

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
two connected with a "Y" connection
Expert:  Richard replied 4 years ago.

Hello

It's what i thought, although wire color does not matter we typically follow the terminal designation with the color.

What i can do is give you a link to the wire diagram. Don't worry about color just make the connections as follows.

I always hate to tell someone to call a serviceman in but on that air handler there are dip switch settings that need to be made to make sure you are getting the most out of it. This is what happens when someone who knows how to install but not set up or service a product installs hi efficiency equipment. Your also going to have to figure out if they installed single or two stage heat kit with it. If you can find the number on the kit I can tell you.

Not only that but you have been running on strip heat all this time and that is 3 to 4 times more expensive to operate. You might want a qualified serviceman to figure out what potential mess someone left behind.

Goodman AEPF Series Air Handlers-Supplement Install Instructions.pdf

Here is a link to the diagram and set up procedures. This is not an everyday air handler and requires some finesse. Take a look at page 6 this is a basic diagram do you think you can follow this?

Thank you

If I answered your question please click the accept button

Richard, Technical Manager
Experience: 27 years of Experience, NATE Certified, professional trainer