TimVZ26
TimVZ26, HVAC Technician
Experience:  6 Years exp. Nate Cert. in Air-to-Air Heat Pumps, Lots of Bryant/Carrier exp.

I have a Carrier 58pav070-1-08 furnace with a problem. The

I have a Carrier 58pav070-1-08 furnace with a problem. The blower comes on, but it never ignites. It is giving me error code: 31 & 12. There doesn't seem to be any air blockage on the unit. Could it be something to do with the ignition heating element? Any advice on how to fix it myself would be greatly appreciated! :)
Category: HVAC
Expert:  TimVZ26 replied 4 years ago.
fault code 31 is pressure switch fault, does the inducer motor run?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yes, the inducer motor runs.
Expert:  TimVZ26 replied 4 years ago.
ok, the pressure switch is the round switch that has a rubber 1/4 inch tube going to it, if you take that off and slightly suck on it, that should make the switch, give this a try and see if it does anything. You might also try to clean the port on the furnace where the tube hooks up, sometimes it will rust over, just take a paper clip and stick the end in there to break up the blockage...
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I sucked on the tubing and cleaned the port on the furnace where the tube hooks up. There does seem to be air coming out of the port.
Expert:  TimVZ26 replied 4 years ago.

the port will be sucking in air, not blowing it out...did that make any difference or still dead in the water?

If it is still dead in the water take the two wires off the switch and jumper them together, if the furnace works then you may just have a faulty pressure switch that needs replaced

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
The port is not going either way (no flow). I jumped the wires and it still didn't work.
Expert:  TimVZ26 replied 4 years ago.

ok, are you sure the inducer motor is running, this is the blower for the exhaust, if it runs then by jumpering the pressure switch the next step is for the igniter to come on...

when you get a fault code 12, this is power on when call for heat is present and will run the blower motor that pushes the hot air into the house.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I'm' sure the inducer motor is running.
Expert:  TimVZ26 replied 4 years ago.

ok, just wanted to make sure...

turn the power to the furnace off and back on, after it gets done with its fault code 12, which should take about 90 seconds, the inducer motor will turn on, after it turns on then jump the two wires together and see what happens, leave them apart until the inducer motor turns on.

See what happens when you try this

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I had to bypass the switch and something else (a cylinder or something above attached to the casing/metal of the furnace- where the exhaust air comes out of a plenum). But, it does work, but I can't leave it bypassed (as I'm sure you know). I will probably have to buy a new pressure switch as well as whatever that cylinoid above it is...? Any suggestions/thoughts?
Expert:  TimVZ26 replied 4 years ago.
sounds like the vent limit switch, you could just replace both of them if you wanted, there not that expensive
Expert:  TimVZ26 replied 4 years ago.

please hit the accept button so I get paid for my time

Thanks

TimVZ26, HVAC Technician
Experience: 6 Years exp. Nate Cert. in Air-to-Air Heat Pumps, Lots of Bryant/Carrier exp.