Bart Jay
Bart Jay, HVAC Technician
Experience:  35 years in HVAC. NATE Certified EPA certified
27654466

i have a amana air command 80 sse, blows cold air, cleaned

i have a amana air command 80 sse, blows cold air, cleaned flame sensor, nothing?
thanks Jim
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Bart Jay replied 4 years ago.
Can you describe the sequence that is happening now? Stat call for heat draft inducer comes on, hot surface ingnitor glows,etc
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
blower turns on, no flame,no ignitor glowing
Expert:  Bart Jay replied 4 years ago.
Blower meaning the air circulating fan or the small draft inducer motor
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
circulating fan , were is the induer motor?
Expert:  Bart Jay replied 4 years ago.
On the upper part in the furnace. You may not have it. Do you have a full model number of the unit
Expert:  Bart Jay replied 4 years ago.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
yes
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
guia070a30
Expert:  Bart Jay replied 4 years ago.
Ok so the draft motor is the black motor just above the gas valve. Does that run at all with the stat calling for heat? If not with the power off and you spin it at all?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
motor runs, fire doesnt light
Expert:  Bart Jay replied 4 years ago.
Turn the power off. While standing and watching turn it on. Draft motor should start after it runs for 30-45 secs do you here a click? That should be the gas valve opening.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
if i put my ear real close there is a faint tick, ticks again when the power is turned off
Expert:  Bart Jay replied 4 years ago.

Doesn't seem like the click I wanted. To left of the draft motor is the draft proving switch. It is round silver disc with two wires to it. There is a small tuning connected to it also. Remove the tube and be sure it is clear, no water or debris. Gently blow into the tube toward the switch. you should here it click. Let me know

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
clicks when i suck on it, when i blow there is nothing
Expert:  Bart Jay replied 4 years ago.

That sounds good. I think your hot surface ingnitor is bad. Do you have a voltage meter?

Edited by Bart Jay on 2/18/2010 at 8:23 PM EST
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
No i dont
Expert:  Bart Jay replied 4 years ago.
To the right of the burner section is the hot surface ingnitor. It probably has a plug in wire connection. Turn off the power and see if you can remove it. Gently it is ceramic. Remove it and see that it is in tack. No burn marks or cracks.
Expert:  Bart Jay replied 4 years ago.
i just watched the video again. You may have to take the sheet metal cover off the burner to get to it

Edited by Bart Jay on 2/18/2010 at 8:36 PM EST
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
no burns no cracks
Expert:  Bart Jay replied 4 years ago.
the only other thing is the if proving switch really is working. Put it back together. On the proving switch remove the wires. Start the furnace and after the fan runs put the wires together maybe with a paper clip in each end. By doing that you are eliminating the draft switch. See if it works by doing that. If yes draft switch is bad. If not I would guess the ingnitor is bad even though it is not cracked it could be bad.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
bypassed switch, still nothing, how could i test the ignitor, if i had a volt meter
Expert:  Bart Jay replied 4 years ago.

You need to test to see if there is voltage going to the igniter. If yes and doesn't glow it is bad. If no voltage something else is wrong. Let me know

Edited by Bart Jay on 2/19/2010 at 1:13 AM EST
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Replaced ignitor still won't work
Expert:  Bart Jay replied 4 years ago.

Without a meter it is difficult, here is the sequence that should happen

1. Thermostat calls for heat. 2. Draft inducer motor starts. 3. Pressure switch attached by a small plastic or rubber tube senses the negative pressure produced by the draft inducer and closes. 4. Draft inducer runs for 30 seconds or so hot surface ingnitor glows.5 gas valve open and have ignition. 6.Flame sensor prove ignition.

If you jumped the draft switch and replace the ingnitor the only other thing is the circuit board which provides power to the ingnitor. check the board. Any burns marks? All wire connected properly?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
just trird it again, it fired and ran, after it quit, it wont start again
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
on the bottom panel there is a small lense to look thru, there is a red light , when the furnace tries to run it blinks 4 times and quits, and reoeats this all the time it is trying to go
Expert:  Bart Jay replied 4 years ago.
Thats good if you take the door off it should tell you what the blinks mean. Let me know
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
4 flashes = open limit switch
Expert:  Bart Jay replied 4 years ago.
Open limit means the furnace temperature safety has opened. Generally nothing should happen when it does though.(no draft inducer) Does this furnace blow down into the duct below the house or blow up?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
up
Expert:  Bart Jay replied 4 years ago.
Ok so the limit switch should be located on the upper part of the furnace. Will have two wires to it. May also have a rollout switch on or near the burner. That one will have a red rest button on it.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
sorry blower is on the bottom,
Expert:  Bart Jay replied 4 years ago.
That ok means it blows up. The duct are not in the floor correct?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

blower on bottom blows up to duct work on basement celing to up stairs

Expert:  Bart Jay replied 4 years ago.
Ok so did you find the limit switch? It should be in the upper part of the furnace with two wires going to it. When you locate it do the same thing you did to draft switch by jumping it out.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
took bottom panal off on th top there is a small switch with two wires looks like a button, jumped it, did not help
Expert:  Bart Jay replied 4 years ago.

Bottom panel near the blower?

There must be one higher up. Above the burner

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
yes there is one that looks the same by the burners next to the flame sensor, jumped it, still nothing
Expert:  Bart Jay replied 4 years ago.

That is a roll out switch. Can you follow the wire to see if it goes to another one.

I found this from the instruction manual

Lockout (see previous Numbers 1, 4, 5). The gas valve,

ignitor, and induced draft blower are de-energized immediately

(Exception: If a trip on high/auxiliary/rollout limit

is combined with a lockout, the induced blower will remain

energized until the limit closes.). The air circulator

blower runs for 90 seconds, and then shuts off.

To manually end a lockout, interrupt the call for heat for

at least 1 second, but not more than 20 seconds.

Turn the power off for 5 seconds then back on see what happens

Expert:  Bart Jay replied 4 years ago.

Again from the manual. You have found the aux limit in the blower, the roll out near the burner still need to locate the priXXXXX XXXXXmit

Open Thermal Protection Device. If the primary (high)

limit, auxiliary limit, or rollout limit control opens, the

gas valve is de-energized. Both the induced draft blower

motor and air circulator blower are energized on low

heat speed. The diagnostic light code for this problem

is four short flashes followed by a longer pause.

If the primary or auxiliary limit is open, the probable

cause is either: low conditioned air flow due to dirty filter

or high resistance in duct work, faulty limit, faulty

blower, or blower speed set too low. The priXXXXX XXXXXmit

will automatically reset, while the auxiliary limit control

must be manually reset.

If the rollout limit control is open, the probable cause is

insufficient combustion air, restricted flue passage, or

restricted heat exchanger. The rollout limit control must

be manually reset.

6. Flame Sensed with No Call for Heat. If the co

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
i bypassed both limiters i found at the same time, nothing
Expert:  Bart Jay replied 4 years ago.

There still is an upper or priXXXXX XXXXXmit. Follow the wire form the roll out switch.

Did you turn it off for 5 sec and back on?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
5 seconds, i found 2 limiters, how many are there
Expert:  Bart Jay replied 4 years ago.
Should be three primary which is the one missing, roll out which is near the burner and auxiliary which is in the blower section.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
will look
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
found it bypassed it. we have heat, do i need a new swith?
Expert:  Bart Jay replied 4 years ago.

Great. There is no reset button on right?

If not it needs to be replace because it stuck open. After you replace it you need to watch the furnace cycle. Does it over heat and shut off on the limit switch? If it does something else may be wrong.

What is the condition of the air filter?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
filter is good
Expert:  Bart Jay replied 4 years ago.

Good replace the limit and watch to see if it cycles off on high temperature while it is running. You should be able to get one where you got the hot surface ingnitor

Bet you never wanted to be that intimate with your furnace?

Hope I have helped

Please click accept and positive feedback is appreciated

Bart Jay, HVAC Technician
Experience: 35 years in HVAC. NATE Certified EPA certified
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Learned alot, great help,

Thanks

JIm