Heath, HVAC Technician
Experience:  11 yrs. comm.resid. service, Type III Cert.

does emergency heat cost more to run than the actual heat pump

Customer Question

does emergency heat cost more to run than the actual heat pump when temps are below 32? Lastly, if water from a roof is dripping down in to a unit and freezing, then the unit does not seem to run, what should we do?
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Heath replied 6 years ago.
It is definitely more economical to run emergency heat in temperatures at or around freezing. I usually set the defrost to kick on around 40 degrees Fahrenheit to prevent icing up of the outside coil. I would try to divert the water from the roof to keep it from getting in the outside unit to prevent the freezing but if you run emergency it will not effect the outside unit as it will not be running.
Expert:  Heath replied 6 years ago.
I am sorry but I may have miss informed you the heat pump will be more economical so long as the unit is not frozen up. I worded it wrong and the heat pump when operating normal and not frozen up as long as the defrost is working would be more efficient than the emergency electric resistant heat banks.