DuWayne
DuWayne, Master HVAC Technician
Experience:  Carrier Factory Trained. Service all Makes and Models. 17 years of experience
28246037

We have an Bryant Evolution Heat Pump. The Outside Temperature

We have an Bryant Evolution Heat Pump. The Outside Temperature reading is 148 deg. There is presently snow around system which we just cleared but now it reads outside temo-Sensory error. What does this mean? We have 2 zones and the other zone reads 34 deg exterior.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  DuWayne replied 4 years ago.
That is very strange because it is the same sensor. Does your control show a fault message of any kind? Do this for me pull the evolution off the wall it will snap off pull from the top leave off for a minute and then reinstall. lets see if we start reading proper then

Edited by Factory Authorized Carrier Dealer on 2/16/2010 at 4:19 AM EST
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
No fault. We had snow cleared off driveway with snowplow and they BURIED the Heat Pump. Just noticed that the exterior temp was reading 140 deg and thought that was odd. We then unburied the heat pump and the temp rose to 148 deg. Then went back out, turned off upper zone, clear the undercarriage of unit to let it breathe, then system said, sens error. We will have it looked at tomorrow by HVAC but want to make sure that system is not damaged if it continues to run. Currently 32 deg outside
Expert:  DuWayne replied 4 years ago.
No damage will occur just make sure system is defrosted and that no snow is keeping fan blades from turning. these systems have many safeties built in. we have many systems out there that the sensor goes bad on for one reason or another have your tech run the system through a diagnostic check which is done at the evolution control and they will be able to pin point the problem from there. if i have answered all your questions please hit accept. Thank you P.S. the evolution is an awesome machine!!

Edited by Factory Authorized Carrier Dealer on 2/16/2010 at 4:34 AM EST
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Just went back outside to look at it and it has a little steam coming out of it and making a slight buzzing noise...assuming that perhaps it is just defrosting??? Again, don't want to break it and also have 4 kids and want to sleep tonight...warm and safe.

Expert:  DuWayne replied 4 years ago.

Yes it will be in defrost If you are concerned about it go ahead and switch the thermostat to emergency heat and let it run on the inside part only tonight that way you can get a good night sleep tonight and the outside wont try and run.

Edited by Factory Authorized Carrier Dealer on 2/16/2010 at 4:39 AM EST
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thank you! Now the upstairs unit reads Auxillary Heat....what does that mean?
Expert:  DuWayne replied 4 years ago.
When your system goes into defrost mode it will go into aux mode which is bringing on your back up heat. Or if you switched it to emergency heat it would show that as well.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Not sure how to switch to emergency heat but just checked it again and outside temp reads 149 deg instead of sensory error.

When I was undigging unit, noticed that there was a lot ice on bottom and one side. Also, it has increased 10 deg since we dug it out. Just doesn't make sense. Feel like there is something perhaps overheating.
Expert:  DuWayne replied 4 years ago.

here is a link to a manual it is the infinity control for Carrier but is the same control never the less. it will walk you through the setting of the emergency heat it will be best to switch it to it until the tech can come out. If you push the red button it should stage through to the emergency heat setting.

http://www.docs.hvacpartners.com/idc/groups/public/documents/techlit/omuiz-3ca.pdf

DuWayne, Master HVAC Technician
Experience: Carrier Factory Trained. Service all Makes and Models. 17 years of experience