gotoman for ac
gotoman for ac, HVAC Technician
Experience:  51 years of experience install design and repair of all makes and models of AC
19613070

Temperature wont get above 59 degrees, furnace kicks on and

Customer Question

Temperature won't get above 59 degrees, furnace kicks on and off but minimal heat comes out, thermostat is set at 68 (honeywell), don't know what to do?
Category: HVAC
Expert:  gotoman for ac replied 4 years ago.

Turn thermostat on let furnace lockout. Check diagnostic LED located in blower compartment. Count flashes and check diagnostic chart for problem area. Get back with me and I can go from there. Rus

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I dont understand a word you said...sorry never worked on this before
Turn thermostat to heat. turn above room temp for thermostat to come on. Go to furnace and look in small hole on blower compartment door. (bottom door) you will see light flashing. Count the flashes. There will be a chart on door with codes for this flash. Let me know what chart says. Rus
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

flash is continuous.

Chart is labeled as "Ignition System Diagnostic Indicator"

The first line reads: Bright - Dim - Normal Operation "Heart Beat"

This looks like what I see "heart beat"

If no diagnostics are flashing you have a thermostat problem. To check this you need to remove blower compartment door and put a jumper wire between terminal R and W . There is a door switch that needs to be pushed in to activate furnace. But if light is normal and thermostat does not activate furnace. Bad thermostat. replace it. Rus
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Could something as simple as a dirty filter lead to this issue?
Oassible but the furnace would show a lock of limit switch. Shut iff power to unit and retry furnace. If it does not try to run and your lights are normal. You have bad thermostat.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

It was the air filter...back to normal temp!

Do you feel like I should contribute $9?

Glad thats all it was. Not normally the case. Stopped up filters cause high limit failure. We can only go by info provided. But you do not have to pay if your question was not answered .Rus