DuWayne, Master HVAC Technician
Experience:  Carrier Factory Trained. Service all Makes and Models. 17 years of experience

once or twice a day my gas furnace makes a loud WHOOSH sound

once or twice a day my gas furnace makes a loud WHOOSH sound and I can see a small ball of flame form in the chamber. Can you tell me what causes this and how to fix it?
Category: HVAC
Expert:  DuWayne replied 6 years ago.
i will try and help can you tell me brand and model # XXXXX furnace and is it natural gas or lp gas
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
It's a 75,000 btu rheem imperial 80. Forced air, natural gas
Expert:  DuWayne replied 6 years ago.

your first thought s are probably good ones what usually causes this is the heat exchanger probably has a large horizontal crack in it. you can usually see these with a flash light looking up into each cell. Many young inexperienced techs will miss this because they are so concerned about cleaning it they dont look at the obvious another thing that would cause this is if the burners are not in properly or not lined up properly. my experience says there is horizontal cracks. my professional opinion says get the company back out and get it fixed and or replaced asap this is a dangerous situation and could cause a fire. Not trying to scare you here i just want you to take this very serious. Please have it checked again. The loud whoosh is gas building up and then igniting i.e. small explosions

Please accept if i have answered your questions