Bart Jay
Bart Jay, HVAC Technician
Experience:  35 years in HVAC. NATE Certified EPA certified
27654466

Hi, Old Electrozone 20VDC valve after being energized has

Customer Question

Old Electrozone 20VDC valve after being energized has magnetic flux attracting my screwdriver what says to me the coil is still good. I touched my pipe before and after the valve and it's hard to say if the temperature is different. But this is the only not working zone (no changes on pressure guage) so how can I say that the valve opens fully? Just taking it apart?
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Bart Jay replied 4 years ago.

It seems the valve is defective. You may not have a temperature difference right at the valve even if it is not opening 100% but you will have an amount of water or GPM lose that you cant tell without gages and thermometers. Because it is not turning the circulator or boiler on tells me it is not opening fully to make the end switches. Having something stuck in the piping after years and years is highly unlikely.

Replace the valve

Hope this helps

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

This type of valve doesn't have any end switches, just 2 wires to open the gate. Thanks for your advice anyway because you were right, I just found swaping coils that my bad valve coil was partually shorted and never lifted the gate fully.

Unfortunately "Electroplastic Inc" doesn't exist and to get new coil will be a big problem but I'll be able to make it myself as a quick repair before switching to new AC valves and controll box. Thanks again it was helpfull.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Just found the company in New Jersey making any coils if you bring the old ones, don't see a better fast bloodless solution. Thanks again. If someone needs coils let them E-mail me.
Expert:  Bart Jay replied 4 years ago.
I am in nj who is making it for you
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

"Atlantic Kenmark" - motor rewinding shop onXXXXX North Alington, don't have ph.# XXXXX me, they charged $150 because they had to manufacture new plastic core for it.

The new one works O'K having 25 Ohms instead of 28 so they can make little more turns because there is a space for it inside the metal capsule.

Try( (XXX) XXX-XXXX as fare as I remember. Took them 2 days.

Expert:  Bart Jay replied 4 years ago.
Cool Thanks