Douglas
Douglas, HVAC Technician
Experience:  Manufacture Rep for Major Brand, Technical Trainer, NATE

my goodman 100 furnace wont come on. the red light on the board

my goodman 100 furnace wont come on. the red light on the board stays lit, ( not blinking) the blower does not come on nor the ignitor heat up. is there a reset button or something
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Douglas replied 4 years ago.
Let's elimiate the thermostat and wiring first, just so we have a place to start.

Find the control board where the thermostat connects and jump from R-W and see what happens. You can make a jumper if you want to
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I made the jump from R to W and the furnace came on. the wife is very happy. what next?

Expert:  Douglas replied 4 years ago.
well, this suggests that the thermostat is not working. Let's put it back as it should be then remove the thermostat and jump the R-W at the thermostat subbase. If it works then, the thermostat itself is bad. If it doesnt then we may have a broken thermostat wire. So let's try that next.

We'll have you going shortly
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I popped off the front of the programmable thermostat and jump the R toW at the base but the furnace is not coming on.
Expert:  Douglas replied 4 years ago.
ok...your going to make this tough on me.... Are there any unused thermostat wires in the bundle?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
i have 4 unused wires at the back of the thmostat
Expert:  Douglas replied 4 years ago.
ok...

I am assuming you jumped it with the blower door back on at the furnace....

what we want to do, is pick two of these spares and we'll reassign them. So let's say you have a spare black and brown just for giggles. Go to the furnace and make the black connect to the R terminal and the Brown to the W terminal and connect tie the balck and brown together at the thermostat to see if this works. The power should be off for this. Once you make all the connections turn the furnace back on and try it. If it works now, connect the Black to R at the thermostat and Brown to the W just as you did at the furnace and see what happens.
Expert:  Douglas replied 4 years ago.
This is because without a meter, I cant tell which wire is bad so we'll just do both.

Just be sure power is off while you rewire and on when you test. The blower door must be in place when you test (cuts power).
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I reassigned the wires at the furnace and connected the wires together at the thermostat but the furnace is not coming on.
Expert:  Douglas replied 4 years ago.
Wow....

Is there something like a zoning system on this furnace I dont know about?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
no zoning or anything fancy, should i jump the R and W at the furnace again
Expert:  Douglas replied 4 years ago.
yeah, that of course is not a fix but it tells me the furnace is ok, the problem is in the external control circuits. At least you can warm the house up if nothing else.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I dont know if you got my reply so iam sending it again. Its all good now. I used the wrong wires from a wrong set of wires to reassign at the furnace. there were 3 of the same wire bundles at the furnace. one to the sump pump on the floor and the other 2 coming down from the ceiling. I switched with the other set of wires and the system is working even with the thermostat installed. thank you for your help.

I replaced the blower motor and wheel couple month's ago. I had to use a generic motor mounting braket (had no rubber bushing, the metal arms bolted straight to the wheel housing) there is a humming or vibration when the motor is running. do you think adding rubber spacers between the bracket and housing will help.

Expert:  Douglas replied 4 years ago.
wait...

you have a condenstate pump?????

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I think so there is a pump motor and its wired to the furnace and the condesation drain hose is hooked to it.
Expert:  Douglas replied 4 years ago.
Sometimes the condensate pumps are installed with an internal float switch that breaks the power to the thermostat if the pump fails or say the termination of the pump freezes. You will want to see if the pump is full. If so, there is your problem.

Expert:  Douglas replied 4 years ago.
I would look closely at the pump. If it pumps outside and it's cold, the tubing can freeze shut and the pump cant get rid of the water. The float switch trips and does just as you describe. Also if the pump were to loose power or the pump itself fails, this swich shuts off the furnace. This would explain alot here.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

when the furnace wasnt working this morning i noticed that the condensate pump was running non-stop. So i unplugged it from the wall outlet as i was checking the furnace. I just went back to the furnace to plug the condensate pump back up and found a puddle of water aroung the pump motor. I plugged the motor back and i can feel the motor running again. any action required? isnt condesation occur only with AC and not heat

Expert:  Douglas replied 4 years ago.
No 90+ gas furnaces produce condensate. Your pump is the problem. Follow the clear hose to where it terminates and you will likely find a blockage. In the winter these can freeze on occasion.

Douglas, HVAC Technician
Experience: Manufacture Rep for Major Brand, Technical Trainer, NATE