Daniel A.
Daniel A., HVAC Technician
Experience:  Mass. Refrigeration Licence, NCI combustion certified, NCI air balanced certified
29442081

My Trane furnace tries to run, then shuts off....the ignitor

Customer Question

My Trane furnace tries to run, then shuts off....the ignitor fires up and runs for about 30 seconds then it likes flames out. It happens several times before the blower kicks on because of the heat build up...What could be the cause? and Yes the air filter is new.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  gotoman for ac replied 4 years ago.

There is a flame rod inserted into your burner. I want you to clean this and retry furnace. Clean with sand paper or steel wool. If it locks out. I want you to look thru hole in blower door and check diagnostic light. Count flashes and check diagnostic chart for problem. Get back toe. Rus

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
2 flashes- system locked out according to the booklet... furnace is only 6yrs old if that matters
Check chart inside door to see reason for lockout. Also next check Air switch. You see small hoses coming from induced draft fan.(small fan) Take off these hoses check for water, blockage or kinks blow gently into and out thru hose. You should here a click. Retry furnace but I need the information on the diagnostic chart. Do this and get back to me Rus
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
the chart doesn't give a cause for lockout other then retries and recycles exceeded...I did the possible remedies in the booklet...turning off the power to furnace on-off-on-off twice in 30 seconds....Furnace is now flashing normal request for heat..and is running without hiccupsas i lke to call it..
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
ok scratch that its doing it again.....starting to cycle then shuting off
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I opened the door and pressed the button and ignitor kicks on and gets hot and flames come out only runs for a few seconds then the flames go out. It will cycle like that several times.
Expert:  Daniel A. replied 4 years ago.

I am a Trane dealer and I have experanced a problem with the flame sensor because of poor grounding. Check all grounding wires including the one that is on the burner tubes. If any grounding problems then the sensor will not detect the flame properly. If all grounding wires appear ok. Try replacing the flame sensor. Its an inexpensive part and its worth a shot.