JWetherbee
JWetherbee, HVAC Professional
Experience:  26yrs as HVAC business owner; Trane ComfortSpecialist Dealer; Proficient with WrightSoft Manual J

Our outside heat pump fan will not come on

Customer Question

Category: HVAC
Expert:  Mark Henley replied 4 years ago.

Can you tell if the compressor is running on it or does it make any other noise/sound ?

Thanks

Mark

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

My husband says the unit is humming, but the fan will not run. The furnace part that is located under the house is running

OK, if it s a loud humming noise that would be the compressor running without the fan, which is not what you want , if it s slight hum it could be the contactor pulled in but neither the compressor or fan running, if you could go feel the two copper lines coming out of it and tell me what they feel like I may be able to tell you which one it is doing, let me know.

Thanks

Mark

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Ok, my husband is an aircraft mechanic and he works nights so he is asleep right now. He checked the pump, but I can tell you this ... the humming did not seem to be loud because I was at the window and could not hear it myself. I am sorry but I cannot answer about the copper wires, I am sorry I cannot be more helpful right now. I can tell you that the machine has not made a shhhhhsing sound (that sounds like pressure being released) that it usually does. It was running just fine until just last night.

Ok, you are welcome to reply back to this after he can check it out, other than that it sounds like you have lost high voltage power to it and that the contactor is humming, I will be online most of the day so just reply back if you get more information. If you lose the page you can use this link to get back , in the meantime if you have auxiliary heat you should switch to emergency heat on your thermostat.

http://www.justanswer.com/questions/30qjy-our-outside-heat-pump-fan-will-not-come-on

Expert:  JWetherbee replied 4 years ago.
Hi. You might try switching your thermostat to "cooling" and setting the temp below the house temp. See if the OD fan comes on. Don't leave the T-Stat set this way for more than just enough time to check the fan. If it does come on, the problem may be in the Defrost Control. If it doesn't, the fan motor itself or the "run capacitor" for the fan motor may be defective.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

To JWetherbee

I know my husband tried what you suggested and that the fan still did not come on. We live in Georgia and are not used to the super cold we have been having. He did wonder if it was okay for the furnace to be running without the heat pump

It is ok for that to happen, sorry for the confusion with two experts replying , J is new here and still getting familiar with procedures.

Thanks

Mark

Customer,

It is OK for the furnace to run without the OD unit running. You might switch your thermostat to the "Emergency Heat" setting so the heat pump (OD unit) won't try to come on. That should keep you comfortable until you can get someone to diagnose what's going on with the OD fan.

JWetherbee, HVAC Professional
Experience: 26yrs as HVAC business owner; Trane ComfortSpecialist Dealer; Proficient with WrightSoft Manual J
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Hi to both of you. You have both been helpful. Thanks. From talking to y'all and what I have been able find out on the web, it is the fan motor or the "capacitor" Anyway, it just happened suddenly. We have a call in to a heating and air guy, but it is saturday.
You're welcome. Stay warm!