Douglas
Douglas, HVAC Technician
Experience:  Manufacture Rep for Major Brand, Technical Trainer, NATE
27672032

My heat pump isnt putting out warm air. Just seems to be

My heat pump isn't putting out warm air. Just seems to be recirculating interior air, but not heating it up.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Douglas replied 4 years ago.
Some quick questions....

Is the outdoor heat pump unit runnning with a call for heat?

What is the balpark outdoor temp?

If you switch it to emergency heat, do you get heat?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hmmm, you know, I haven't had a heat pump for so long I forgot how they work.

The outdoor temp is high 40's. As far as I can tell, there is no "outside" unit. I just started renting this house and am having trouble getting answers to a lot of issues.

I do not see an emergency heat selection either.

Expert:  Douglas replied 4 years ago.
Hehe... Yell well if there is no outdoor unit and no emergency heat.... it's probably not a heat pump....

Can you find the indoor unit and tell me what you see there? A model number and brand would be a fantastic place to start.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

It's an Advanced Distribution Product unit. Model #MXC1200N2A, Serial # XXXXX

Voltage 240/208, Phase/HZ 1/60. Motor, HP 1/3.

It is described as an AIR HANDLER...whata ya think?

Expert:  Douglas replied 4 years ago.
I think you are right....

Go to the thermostat and pop it off the back plate and tell me what wires are connected to what terminals on the back plate.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Ok, there are two beige wires and one white wire.

?

Expert:  Douglas replied 4 years ago.
nice... actually we need to go behind those. There my be some scrwes inside a couple holes...

Before we do that does this have a murcury bulb on the thermostat or just a springy looking thing?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Both
Expert:  Douglas replied 4 years ago.
ok turn it down and then back up and look closely for a little spark inside the thermostat, you may have to do it a couple times.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Tried it a few times. There is a VERY long delay for a response whether turning the unit on OR off. Normal?

Also, inside the thermastat, on the bottom, there is a brass colored arrow that can be moved. What does it do?

Expert:  Douglas replied 4 years ago.
Yes, that is normal...

That arrow is a heat anticipator.... mostly irrelevent here but it controls the length of cycles when the unit is running.. leave that alone.

Welll it seems to be turning the unti on and off ok and this suggests the thermostat is not the problem.

When the thermostat calls for heat, a timing device starts and energizes the fan and at least on bank of electric heat. The heat part may be broke but without a meter to read voltages and amperages, an electric furnace is basically impossible to troubleshoot. (the old wet the finger thing is not always a good idea....)

At this point it may be time to call a technician. Ususally it's a sequencer but can be a broken heating element, a broken fusible link or a limit that;'s out. None of those are hardware store parts anyway...

I wish I could wave a wand from here but that hasn't seemed to work very well.... Rest assured if it did, I would be the new Bill Gates.
Douglas, HVAC Technician
Experience: Manufacture Rep for Major Brand, Technical Trainer, NATE
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thanks,

I was trying to save the landlady some money. We are both widows so I am sympathetic to her limited funds. The darn thing looks brand new...I'll give her a call.

I'm gonna accept your answer as it is still way cheaper than if I had someone come out to tell me the same thing. Thanks Douglas.