Bart Jay
Bart Jay, HVAC Technician
Experience:  35 years in HVAC. NATE Certified EPA certified

Please confirm if my Lennox Pulse heat exchanger is shorted

I have a 22 year old Lennox Pulse furnace. Never had a problem with it. Technician says it failed the pressure test (can't hold pressure for 10 minutes....maybe 5 minutes.....I forget). Claims I need to replace the furnace, since heat exchanger is short. Furnace works fine, and none of my Co2 alarms are going off. Am I being scammed?

Category: HVAC
Expert:  Bart Jay replied 6 years ago.

He is not scamming you but you may be able to get some relief from Lennox. There was a serious problem and recall on some of their furnaces. I've attached a link which will show you some info.

Hope this helps

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

If I'm not being scammed, why does my furnace run like always, and without setting off my Co2 alarms?? And what does not holding its' pressure mean relative to the condition of the heat exchanger??

Expert:  Bart Jay replied 6 years ago.

In the link that I sent, you will see the mention of PRESSURE TESTING Lennox heat exchangers. If you read and follow the links you will find the reason in there.

Also, because you are not getting CO reading inside you home does not mean there is no hole. But at what point will the hole get bigger and it will. It definitely is not going to get smaller.

The furnace is 22 years old and normal life expectancy is 15-20. I think you should bite the bullet and upgrade anyway.

Hope this helps.

Bart Jay, HVAC Technician
Experience: 35 years in HVAC. NATE Certified EPA certified