BillyHvac, Journeyman HVAC Tech
Experience:  Endorsed for unlimited heating, cooling, oil burners, boilers, refrigeration, hydronics

How can you safely unfreeze an outside central heat and air

How can you safely unfreeze an outside central heat and air unit? Our temps have been very low, and my unit outside is frozen and not allowing it to get over 62 degrees in my house.

If this is a heat pump the defrost is not working. You can turn off power and melt with hair dryer. Then you will need to find why it is not going into defrost. You can really melt with any heat source, but I recommend being careful and using open flame.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
What about using products like you would use to derost your car windshield? We don't usually have temps this cold here, and my unit is not the only one doing this, many of my neighbors are too.
what is current temp
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
17 degrees

Wow, I think the deicer would work some, but in thin layers at a time.

Iit would still hasten the project to apply heat.

Do you have electric back up heat in your system

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
The thermostat has an option for EM. Heat. what does that mean?
That is "emergency" heat. You can turn that to EM and it will activate electric heat in the unit. This turns off the outdoor unit to give it a rest, and gives you time to thaw it...or you can just use the EM heat. It may smell a bit when first turned on if you havent used it in a while.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Ok, so if i turn it on and it smells like smoke or something nasty it's ok at first - right? Also, another ? for you. I just changed my filters, which I do on a regular basis, but I did not know that there was a filter in the bottom of the inside part of the central air unit. I took that filter out, and need to replace it, when i get out today. Will this cause a problem, when turning on the Emergency heat? I don't want any fires or anything.

No it will not cause trouble. But yes it will smell, and yes everything is normal with that. There is a fine coating of dust on the elments and this will cook off. It is smelly but dissapates pretty fast.

I wish you luck and will remain available for follow up for you.