Jim Burgess
Jim Burgess, HVAC Technician
Experience:  28 years experience, Liscensed HVAC, Appliance Tech, Small Engine
26594720

My thermostat says E2 and the heat would not turn off. I tripped

Customer Question

My thermostat says E2 and the heat would not turn off. I tripped the switch, turned the unit off, waited 1 hour and now I can't get the heat to turn back on. What do you think??
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Jim Burgess replied 6 years ago.

HELLO

This is the error code definition from the owners manual for the thermostat.

E2" on temperature display Brownout condition or too low of voltage to thermostat. Double check wiring and check for

24 vac between R and C. E2 will clear 15 sec after proper voltage is restored.

You could have had a power glitch that could have caused the error code to come up in the first place. Check all breakers make sure proper voltage supply is going to the unit

then , check for 24 volts at the thermostat, between R and C ( marked on thermostat ).

If no voltage at the thermostat, check for 24 volts at the heater at the transformer> If main power is present but, no voltage from transformer then your transformer has failed. This would need to be replaced. Make sure all wiring is correct with no bare areas or wires touching each other.Be sure to check thermostat wires also.

Jim

Reminder: Please click accept if I have been of any assistance to you , so I can get paid for my time and knowledge, also feedback is greatly appreciated. Thank you