Douglas, HVAC Technician
Experience:  Manufacture Rep for Major Brand, Technical Trainer, NATE

Hi, The fault light has come on my geothermal Water Furnace

The fault light has come on my geothermal Water Furnace system. The light indicates it is a water flow problem. Of course, we are dealing with the cold wave and our temps have been below freezing for days. I am wodering if it's worth my time to call my local serviceman since it is so damn cold. Is there anything I can do myself?
Is the loop pump running?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Don't mean to sound dumb, but how can I tell? The only fault indicator light that is on is marked "Water flow."
Short of just putting your hand on it, or having a meter to read current it might be tough. If you aren't comfortable with working on it, I would recommend having a tech look at it. (not all techs are geothermal techs).

I would be concerned if it were left unattended as further problems can occur.

It could be a defective pump, it could be a bad pump relay or like you said ice. Either way a good tech can find the problem quickly and offer you a solution. He can also tell you about the loop whether it's closed or open and if there is antifreeze. Most don't require it, but if the loop is closed there should either be low temperature controls or anti-freeze. Obviously open loops cant have any antifreeze but ground water should not be cold enough.

There really is a lot to a geothermal and this tosses a lot of DIY out the window.