ComfortZone
ComfortZone, HVAC Technician
Experience:  10 years in the HVAC industry.
8985078

american standard trane MODEL tud08ob942a0 HOME GAS FURNACE

Customer Question

american standard trane MODEL:tud08ob942a0 HOME GAS FURNACE with honeywell S8910V IGNITION MODULE NOT STARTING. FAN WORKS,COMES ON. SOUNDS LIKE IGNITER SOLENOID HITS THREE TIMES THEN SHUTS DOWN THEN LED FLASHES 3 TIMES = IGNITION LOCKOUT.. FLUE VERIFIED TO BE CLEAR. IS IGNITER BAD?
Category: HVAC
Expert:  ComfortZone replied 7 years ago.

Sounds like the ignitor has cracked. Pull it out and check it.

graphic

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
it looks crudded up but not cracked. what should ohms be? if shows infinity is it bad?
Yes. That means it is open. The crack could be miniscule. Do you have 120 volts going to the ignitor from the control board?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

don't know yet, will check when I get home from work. I am working thru this with my son and I have the VOM with me. I'll see if he can use his current detector to see if he is getting any AC at all off the board/igniter connection

let me know
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
will do , thanks. I am 70 miles away from the unit and he is not experienced enough to troubleshoot on his own. Does it sound like the exhaust flue pressure sensor is okay?

More than likely. You can determine that by taking the leads off and checking for continuity between the terminals when the vent motor is running. But I think the problem is with the ignitor.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
ignitor had cracked, my son just didnt recognize it as a crack!