Tom, HVAC Technician
Experience:  16+yrs HVAC/R service. Residential Commerical Industrial

I have a fasco motor on my pellet stove. It says to oil every

I have a fasco motor on my pellet stove. It says to oil every 6mo. with thirty wt. I cannot identify the oil port. Where do I add oil?
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Tom replied 6 years ago.

Hi, Tom here.

I don't have a good picture of your motor, but IF it has oil holes, they will be on the outer diameter of the motor frame, right where the motor frame meets the endplate, not on the actual endplate of the motor. The hole is about 3/16" diameter.

The older Fasco motors had a small half round hole in the motor frame and if you looked through the vent holes in the end of the motor, you could see a metal tube connecting the bearing to the hole.

It is entirely possible that the literature is out of date and the new motors do not have oilers.

I hope this helps. Please feel free to reply if you have followup questions!

Thank you, Tom

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Does the small hole have any markings, such as oil?
Expert:  Tom replied 6 years ago.

No, they never have. You really have to look to see them. At first glance they blend in with all the other holes punched in the motor.

However, the vent holes are usually square or rectangle in shape and the oil hole will be round or semi-circular, right on the edge of the frame.

I used to work in an electric motor shop and now in the hvac trade and manufacturers have all but stopped putting oilers on motors. Save a penny here and there I guess.

I'm sorry, not what you wanted to hear. Take another look, I'm guessing it doesn't have them.

The shaft end bearing is the one that really needs oil as it is closest to the heat source, you could try dripping a few drops on the shaft between the motor and blower, but that is difficult at best and really doesn't get the oil where you need it.

Best regards, Tom