Douglas
Douglas, HVAC Technician
Experience:  Manufacture Rep for Major Brand, Technical Trainer, NATE
27672032

my goodman self-igniting furnace wont ignite. It was running

my goodman self-igniting furnace won't ignite. It was running fine and just stopped. I tried cutting the power and cycling back on, but still nothing. We had the same problem last winter and tech said it wasn't draining properly and they had to reset it. Is there a reset button somewhere I'm not seeing?
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Douglas replied 4 years ago.
is there a condensate pump connected to the furnace? It would look something like this...

graphic
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
No it doesn't. If it helps, the model is GMNT060-3
Expert:  Douglas replied 4 years ago.
you may have to pull both the panels off and depress the door switch to watch for a fault code with lights. If there is a window in the door you might see them.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Ok - red light is giving 3 blinks, which according to panel door indicates the "pressure switch failure to close" - and to check "Venter pressure switch vent blockage". Not sure what that means.
Expert:  Douglas replied 4 years ago.
ok... this can mean several things...

lets start with the obvious... turn the furnace off then back on. does the vent motor run?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
yes
Expert:  Douglas replied 4 years ago.
ok, next easy step is to run out and look at the vent pipes where they go outside and verify there is no ice, snow, birds or anything blocking the vent pipe.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
It's clear
Expert:  Douglas replied 4 years ago.
ok... looking into the furnace... you see the venter motor? you will see a little rubber tube that goes to the pressure switch. is there one or two pressure switches? If two, where does the other switch's hose go?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Looks like two hoses running to the back - not sure where the pressure switch is - here's a picture.graphic
Expert:  Douglas replied 4 years ago.
nice... can you take a little wider view... I want to see the whole thing... If that's ok.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Here you go - it's a little blurry - let me know if this doesn't work. graphic
Expert:  Douglas replied 4 years ago.
well now I know why your drain is slow....

the pressure switch is the black hockey puck thing. pull the rubber hose off the venter assembly that leads to the pressure switch... let me know if any water comes out.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I pulled the hose off the venter assembly but no water came out. Nonetheless, it looks like the switch isn't completely secured to the casing, so I pushed it down and pushed the hose on a little bit, tried the switch for the door to see if anything changed and the pilot lit. So first, thank you very much - our 7 week old won't freeze now. But it seems like it's working, but something must be loose. Any thoughts on that for down the road?
Expert:  Douglas replied 4 years ago.
I dont know from here... I would have that drain redone. You want it to go into a pipe rather than a hose, there is alot of friction in that hose. Make a drain stand pipe out of 3/4" pvc. Sort of like the ac or humdiifer drain on the right.

I was never a big fan of that furnace from the beginning, but thats neither her nor there. It just was not engineered very well. That's not to say it wont work for you though. Those hockey puck pressure switches are finicky too.

Well if nothing else it's warming the house.... Wish I could make it work like its supposed to.

Douglas, HVAC Technician
Experience: Manufacture Rep for Major Brand, Technical Trainer, NATE
Expert:  Douglas replied 4 years ago.
If I have been helpful, please click accept.

I want to wish you and your family a great new year.