Rick Mather
Rick Mather, HVAC Technician
Experience:  35 years experience, HVAC

My thermostat wont kick on. If I cross the red and white

Customer Question

My thermostat won't kick on. If I cross the red and white wire it turns on for like 30 seconds then shuts back off again. I called honeywell and they said it was my furnace not my thermostat. Please help! Single Mom worried it could be something very costly.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Rick Mather replied 4 years ago.
Furnace is the problem and it could be the flame sensor or the air flow proving switch not making. Either way you have to have some look at furnace controls at furnace
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I know what a flame sensor could be but what is a air flow proving switch? Is this expensive to repair?
If furnace has induced draft fan it will have a proving switch with small hoses that get clogged every now and then
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Rick, I am sorry that I haven't accepted yet, but I logged off early yesterday, and did a little more research today, to find out if we were talking about the same thing. I found out it is a Rheem electric/gas air heating unit and I was looking at it today to see if I could get into it to look at this flame sensor, but it looks like there is a pump on one side and i don't know what on the other. Any thoughts? Does this change anything of what you might think it is?
Do you have model number?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

RRKA-A024JK06E Sorry to be a pain in the butt, but I am a single mom, trying to do it myself. I had to replace my gas water heater last month, and did it by help online.

There are some limit controls that could be tripped and the one we need is in the burner compartment and will have manual reset

There is onboard diagnostics and if flashing three times we have the problem.

I'm a Rheem dealer and can get the wiring diagrams online and this is what its telling me

Edited by Rick Mather on 1/5/2010 at 12:07 AM EST
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
i'm sorry i am an idiot where would I see the onboard diagnostic flash?
Where ever the control board is located behind an access door might have little tiny window to look thru and if flashing you can read and tell how many flashes and then we can fix this problem or know whats wrong
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
i went out there and spent 20 min looking for a control panel, say this little door took the screws out and all i saw was a motor looking thing but nothing flashing. I think it said it was the hood? I can see inside where the pump is but nothing is flashing there either. Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX't know if there is anything else you can do for me.
well some where on that unit is this control board and it will be near where the wiring goes into it follow the little wires if expose in toward the board
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I see that, but I see two knobs on the bottom, but i don't see how that part comes off

Well maybe some screws