Douglas
Douglas, HVAC Technician
Experience:  Manufacture Rep for Major Brand, Technical Trainer, NATE
27672032

MY OIL FIRED FURNACE IGNITES THEN SHUTS OFF. I HAVE TO PUSH

MY OIL FIRED FURNACE IGNITES THEN SHUTS OFF. I HAVE TO PUSH RESET BUTTON OVER AND OVER
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Douglas replied 4 years ago.
is the flame truely there when you press the reset button?... (Please dont look into the inspection door when you reset it.).

How soon does it trip?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
yes there is a flame . then it goes out . sometimes immediately other times it take a couple of minutes. noticed it since new years eve
Expert:  Douglas replied 4 years ago.
well it could be that the cad cell (electric eye) is not seeing the flame. If you fold back the ignition transformer, you will see a little electric eye connected to two yellow wires. The eye can be removed or left in place... Why dont you just clean the lense on that and let me know if that helps.

I could be your nozzle is fouled too and it might not have the proper spray pattern.

Beyond that, you get into primary control problems, pump couplings and the like but for now let's do the obvious.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
can i clean the nozzle and where on the pump is it
Expert:  Douglas replied 4 years ago.
well nozzles dont get cleaned, they get replaced with an identical nozzle. They arent really servicable but need replaced annually with the filter.

Here is a small picture, this one happens to show a bad spray, but they dont always have marks like this....

graphic

They are at the end of the burner gun assembly inside the burner.

The cad cell is this....

graphic
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
go in through the top or the front
Expert:  Douglas replied 4 years ago.
The transformer (Big Black Thing on top) has two screws toward the furnace that hold it down. Loosten them and tilt the transformer back toward you.

PLEASE TURN THE POWER OFF FIRST

You will see the cad cell right there looking into the burner.
Douglas, HVAC Technician
Experience: Manufacture Rep for Major Brand, Technical Trainer, NATE
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
i cleaned furnace and removed noxxle, cleaned tip replaced it .furnace turned right on and was running,then oil started leaking from area around the nozzle. tip is tight and nothing is loose.
Expert:  Douglas replied 4 years ago.
around the nozzle tip or back at the pump connection?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
i cant tell because i have to put the cover with the two bolts on to fire it up. the oil is all around the whole area,inside where the eye sensor is
Expert:  Douglas replied 4 years ago.
oh... um, this is probably because of cleaning the nozzle. As I may have mentioned, they are almost impossible to clean...hence replacing them with a new one. They atomize the oil to a very, very fine mist. As a service tech, I dont recall every succesfully cleaning one.

Beyond that, the nozzle adapter may have a crack in it if the nozzle was over tightend but this is rare.

The nozzle should have had a number letter code on it, like 70b or 85a or something. You really need to get a replacment nozzle.
Douglas, HVAC Technician