Matthew, HVAC Technician
Experience:  14 years experience in the HVAC field of service, installation, Manual J & D calculations

My furnace pilot lifgt is burning and the fan runs but there

Customer Question

My furnace pilot lifgt is burning and the fan runs but there is no gas burning to get the heat going throughout the house. Whast do I need to do? The landlord is out of town and I don't want to call a service-man to the house without checking with him. I didn't see anything that seemed disconnected or any "re-set" button.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Matthew replied 6 years ago.
That model number is XXXXX pulling up, but it sounds like you have a standing pilot furnace and the main burners are not coming on but the fan is running constantly. Tell me if you see a square box with a round dial on it somewhere above the burners.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Yes. It's a square box with a round dial for turning the gas on and off when you're lighting the pilot, etc. The box also has a two pipes running off of it, one to the unit and the other elsewhere (not sure where it goes exactly). The piping leading away has a red valve on it which I guess is also for shutting the gas flow on and off.
Expert:  Matthew replied 6 years ago.
What you are describing is the gas valve. I am talking about something that would be located on the face of the inside of the furnace called a fan limit relay. It would have a round dial with a grove in it where you see 3 different little setting indicators on it. This could be stuck and not allowing the gas to come on. The only other problem I can think of other than this limit being bad is if you have a bad gas valve.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

I don't see anything like what you're describing. The burners on the unit are on the bottom left, stretching horizontally across. There is a small, removal cover to allow access for lighting the pilot but it doesn't give you access to anything else. The only thing I have seen that even remotely resembles what you mentioned is the dial on the gas valve that has the "On, Pilot, and Off" settings.

Expert:  Matthew replied 6 years ago.
I am going to need the correct model number then in order to assist you. There should be a model and under it a serial number located on a data plate on the inside of the furnace.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
It's from Goodman Manufacturing Co in Houston, TX. The Model is:HCC075N53R and the serial # XXXXX: XXXXXXXXX
Expert:  Matthew replied 6 years ago.
Well that model does not pull up on my Goodman site so we will have to work through this blind a bit until I get an idea of what type of system you have. I need to know if this unit has a printed circuit board on the blower housing, if the pilot is a standing pilot that you manually have to light or if it is automatic ignition, and I need you to tell me if there is an inducer draft motor at the top of the furnace that hooks to the vent pipe coming out of the furnace.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

I don't really know what those things you're talking about are even. I truly appreciate your help but I'm afraid I'm going to have to contact someone locally to come have a look at it. Thanks for your time.

Expert:  Matthew replied 6 years ago.
Ok, depending on what you have it sounds like you may be tripping a limit. If this is what is happening then your furnace inside is building up too much heat and can't get ride of it so it shuts off the burners and runs the blower until it clears all this build up out of the furnace then it should normally reset itself once the sensor limit sees that it has cooled down. Yours does not seem to want to reset so it needs to be replaced. Sometimes you can cut power to the furnace from the breaker and then turn it back on and this will reset it, but if it doesn't then it needs to be replaced. This limit if it is working properly can be tripped because of a dirty filter, a dirty evaporator coil that sits on top of the furnace or by the blower motor not turning on when it should.