Mark Henley
Mark Henley, Journeyman Technician
Experience:  UA Journeyman Pipefitter , HVAC, Refrigeration, DDC controls. 26 years.Commercial & residential

I have a Ruud Silhouette II gas furnace. I dont have a manual

Customer Question

I have a Ruud Silhouette II gas furnace. I don't have a manual so I don't know what the part names are. When I take the blower cover off there are two round parts. The one on the right which turns counter clockwise when the furnace is on; and the one on the left that doesn't move. In order to get the furnace to come on I have to "pluck" the part that doesn't move with my finger. The furnace will come on. The longest it has stayed on is 6 days. The shortest is one heat cycle. The gas company can't figure it out. What can I do or what can I tell the gas company to make the furnace stay on.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Mark Henley replied 4 years ago.

If you can get me the model number on it I should be able to get you the documentation available for that unit including a parts list, let me know.

Thanks

Mark

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

The model # XXXXX XXXXX

click here

If you can look through here and give me an idea of where you are doing this at to get it to run , the area I thought you were talking about is where the circuit board ( integrated furnace control ) would be, let me know. Also If I can also get the serial number I can be more specific on what you have as this came with many variations that are denoted with the serial number, sorry about that i did not know that when I asked for the model usually that's all I need.

Thanks

Mark

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
The round part I pluck is behind the burner compartment door. The serial # XXXXX XXXXX

I can't figure out what you are starting by hand, is it the vent motor ?

Is it possible that you can take a photo of ti and post it here ?

Thanks

Mark

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
graphic

Ok great job, that's the air pressure switch,I probably should have guessed that.

You will need to replace it,

Its part number 10 on the parts list, you can tell the gas service man that you need the air pressure switch or draft proving switch. Rheem / Ruud just calls it the "pressure switch.

Thanks

Mark

Mark Henley, Journeyman Technician
Experience: UA Journeyman Pipefitter , HVAC, Refrigeration, DDC controls. 26 years.Commercial & residential
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thank you so much. I sure hope this helps.

I believe it will, let me know how it does, this is not an uncommon repair.

Thanks

Mark