BillyHvac, Journeyman HVAC Tech
Experience:  Endorsed for unlimited heating, cooling, oil burners, boilers, refrigeration, hydronics

My furnace is not getting fuel. I have checked the tank and

My furnace is not getting fuel. I have checked the tank and there is lots of fuel. In the past when the fuel tank ran out of fuel, I put some diesel fuel in and then purged the small bit of water out and then the furnace started. Last night I pushed the reset and the furnace started and ran for a couple of minutes, then started to " sputter " and finally stopped. There is a fair bit of cold wind blowing around the tank area so I thought that the line might be frozen - I put a small amount of gasline antifreeze in the tank and purged it again - I have gotten a small amount of discharge but in a minute or so the furnace will shut off. The furnace was cleaned a couple of months ago and a new nozzle was installed. What next?
Bob Covert
Category: HVAC
Expert:  BillyHvac replied 6 years ago.
What is the longest you have bled the line and did you change oil filter?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I have bled the line a few times - When I pushed the reset button " the motor ", if that is what you call it would come on, a very little bit of fuel would come out, then the " motor"
would stop. Regarding the oil filter, I assume that it was changed when the furnace was serviced a couple of months ago. How many times can one bled?
Expert:  BillyHvac replied 6 years ago.
When you are bleeding are you using the bleeder screw on the oil pump? or just running the unit?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I am using the bleeder screw - I open it half way or so. When the oil tank ran out of fuel previously, last winter, I put in some diesel fuel because the fuel truck could not come until the morning, I got a bit of water at first, when I bled, but once the fuel was sucked the furnace would keep going and not shut off.
Expert:  BillyHvac replied 6 years ago.
I would open the bleeder most of the way, get a bucket, start furnace and bleed oil into bucket, when furnace starts jump F and F on the reset control and run for a couple minutes. Tighten bleeder back down, remove bucket remove jumper from F and F and try cyle again.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Billy - what do you mean by jumping F and F on the reset control?
Expert:  BillyHvac replied 6 years ago.
O the primary control where the reset button is are 2 wires to T and T and then there should be 2 yellow wires to an F and F terminal. That is the terminals for the cad cell (flame eye)
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
What do you mean by jumping the wires - I have jumped my car many times but don't know how to jump these wires.
Please advise.
Expert:  BillyHvac replied 6 years ago.
Just connect them.. use a wire or small jumper. Anything that connects the 2 terminals. But this must be removed for normal operstion.