Matthew
Matthew, HVAC Technician
Experience:  14 years experience in the HVAC field of service, installation, Manual J & D calculations
6927568

my heater will not heat up my house the blower is running and

Customer Question

my heater will not heat up my house the blower is running and there is a flame in the view window my thermostat is set to 67 and the temp is at 57 degrees
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Matthew replied 7 years ago.
Is this a trailer?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Yes, this is a trailer. It is a fairly new furnace. We just bought the trailer in April and the furnace was installed shortly before we got the trailer.
Expert:  Matthew replied 7 years ago.
Sounds like there is the connection run from trunk to trunk unhooked below if it is a dbl wide. If this has one system for heat only and a package unit outside for cooling only the shut off damper could be stuck closed not allowing heat through the trunk.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
its not a double wide it is a solid trunk line i have take the cover off where the a coil would sit and felt the air comming from the heat exchanger and it is kinda cold i can put my hand
on the heat exchanger and it not very hot
Expert:  Matthew replied 7 years ago.
So this flame you see it is only the igniter glowing bright and then nothing happens. Are you sure you have good gas supply to the house? . To doulbe check and make sure it is not a low voltage wire problem from the stat find where R and W hook up in the furnace and place a jumper to connect them this takes the thermostat and wires out of the equation.

Edited by Matthew on 12/11/2009 at 8:56 PM EST
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
i have a blue and yellow flame in the window i thought i had a restriction in the the line because it went from 1/2 in to 3/8 back to 1/2 in i replaced the hose yesterday with no effect on my prolblem i had called the gas company to come check my presure they said that the presure comming frome the meter was good they said it was 7psi he wouldnt check check my presure at the heater though
Expert:  Matthew replied 7 years ago.
humm, I am pulling this unit up as a hot surface ignition but you are describbing a standing pilot that never goes out and if it does you have to manually relight?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
this is a hot surface ignition furnace
Expert:  Matthew replied 7 years ago.
I am confused then because if you are seeing the flame/burners and your blower is pushing the air into the trailer then there should not be a problem. Take a temperature reading of the air comming out of the vents and see if it is blowing 110-130 degree air.

Edited by Matthew on 12/11/2009 at 9:30 PM EST
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I checked the air coming out of the vents and it is 83.3 degrees. The temperature at the flame window is 127.5. Although the furnace is currently running and has been running for an hour or longer. Thermostat is reading 69 degrees and is sat at 70 degrees.
Expert:  Matthew replied 7 years ago.
Is this furnace heat only or do you have an evaporator coil with copper lines comming out of it?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
heat only. not setup for central air.
Expert:  Matthew replied 7 years ago.
Well that rules that out. Ok, if the burners are burning and the blower is blowing and you only have 83 degrees coming out of the vent then you have an open trunk under the trailer or a family of cats living in the trunk blocking the air from coming through.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
i did notice that if i disconnect power to the furnace for a few minutes then re-apply power, i hear what sounds like motor running that purges air inside the heat exchanger. the air coming out of the furnace is warmer for a little bit then cools off. there also appears to be an electrically controlled damper on top of the furnace that is in the air intake for the exchanger. it also appears that there is equal and positive airflow from all 7 air vents. hope this additional info helps.
Expert:  Matthew replied 7 years ago.
I am going to OPT out and see if one of the other guys can help you more I know a little about these furnace that have the power exhaust fresh air vents but not enough to be helpful. That could have something to do with it i would imagine if it is getting stuck and letting the cold outside air mix I don't know for sure how those work so like I said I am out of options from my own personal experience.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
i figured out what my problem was it was a partially blocked orfice tube from a spiders nest
Expert:  Matthew replied 7 years ago.
So the flame you saw was near the front of the burners where the gas comes out then not at the end where it should be?