Mark Henley
Mark Henley, Journeyman Technician
Experience:  UA Journeyman Pipefitter , HVAC, Refrigeration, DDC controls. 26 years.Commercial & residential
10307865

I have a Nordyne/Gibson Heat Pump. The condensor fan stopped

Customer Question

I have a Nordyne/Gibson Heat Pump. The condensor fan stopped working. I suspect it was because the unit was on all night. We had bought the house a year ago and I noticed this problem of the themostat being located in the hallway towards the back bedrooms. Flow is limited because of the long run, so as a result we have a cold/hot spot in the hallway. The livingroom and kitchen area is always warmer or cooler due to the short run and good air flow. I am thinking about using an in line duct air booster, but I need to repair the outside unit first. How can I check to see if it is the fan motor or capacitor or ? And what if any problems could result with an air booster?

Thanks
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Mark Henley replied 6 years ago.

Visually inspecting the capacitor is usually enough to see if it's bad, it has a convex shaped head on it where the electrical terminals are if this is out of shape its defective or if it's leaking oil.

On the fan, try to spin it , if ther ei sany resistance at all it is defective, other than that you would need a multimeter than can check microfarads up to at least 100,

Thanks

Mark

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Already tried spinning the fan and I manually pushed the relay closed. The fan woorks but will not turn when heat is turned on. (Not talking about Aux heat) Could the defrost board be defective, does it have a reset? In N Ga, not terribly cold but just below freezing. Do not think the coils needed defrosting. Can you help?

It could very well be the defrost board, if it works when you push in contactor then its probably the board.

Thanks

Mark

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

How can I verify that? Can I bypass with a jumper?