Mark Henley
Mark Henley, Journeyman Technician
Experience:  UA Journeyman Pipefitter , HVAC, Refrigeration, DDC controls. 26 years.Commercial & residential
10307865

How do I change air filter on my Goodman furnace? Where is it located?

How and where do I change the air filter in a Goodman Furnace model # GMP-1255
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Mark Henley replied 7 years ago.

The filter should be in the return duct-work not in the furnace. Is this an upright furnace that blows up into the house or please describe.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

The house is single level, furnace unit is located in utility room. It may be an upright as the ductwork goes up into the ceiling and all vents are located in ceilings in each room.

It is an up-flow furnace then, the return probably comes in at the side of the unit, there should be a slot there or the filter could be in a ceiling return grill if there is only one return grille in the home, it won't be inside the furnace itself. Is there ductwork connected to the side of the furnace?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

There is a large "box" on the side of the furnace, there is currently no airfilter in place, did pull the access panel off the front of the furnace (very scary for me), behind the bottom panel is the "squirrel cage" and what looks like a framework to slide an airfilter inplace. I do not want to install airfilter incorrectly.

That sounds like it, you can put one in there just make sure its snug and that the arrows point toward the furnace.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
If I slide the filter under the squirrel cage there will be less than 1 inch clearance, does that sound correct?

Is the where the return air is coming into the unit at?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

No

Can you determine where the return air enters the furnace at? That is where the filter should be. Is it possible that you can take a picture of this unit and the connecting ductwork and post it here?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I held the new air filter up to the grill work while the furnace was on and the suction held the filter up. I just removed that grill work and there is nothing to hold the filter upright. I will take a couple of pictures and post them. It may take a few minutes.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
graphicgraphic

There is a yellow box thing on the side that I can't see very well, could you possibly take a picture of that are?

This is a poor installation.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

I will send the additional photo soon, what do you mean this is a poor installation?

The fuel pipe is running through some sheet metal that looks like its part of the supply air duct , if that is true its illegal.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
graphic

The return is apparently that white louver. You should be able to feel air going in there when the furnace is running. The filter may be right behind that louver or in between that and the furnace. That is the only place it looks like it can be. If you can't find one in those areas, they just don't have one in it and you will need to have a filter frame installed.