Mark Henley
Mark Henley, Journeyman Technician
Experience:  UA Journeyman Pipefitter , HVAC, Refrigeration, DDC controls. 26 years.Commercial & residential
10307865

WHAT DOES THE RED LIGHT(LABLED EM. HEAT)MEAN LOCATED ON MY

WHAT DOES THE RED LIGHT(LABLED EM. HEAT)MEAN LOCATED ON MY THERMOSTAT AND SHOULD THIS BE CUT ON AND LEFT OWN DURING WINTER MONTHS. AM I USEING MORE ELEC. POWER WHEN THIS IS LEFT ON. SHOULD UNIT HEAT THE HOUSE TO FULL CAPACITY WITH THIS RED LIGHT CUT OFF?
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Mark Henley replied 7 years ago.

The EM means emergency heat. It should be left off and only used when your heating does not work. You are using more power when it is on. Theoretically it should be able to heat your home but sometimes they don't.

Thanks

Mark

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
what do you mean by theoretically they don't and should my unit be putting out ample heat with this em off. if it is not do i have a problem with my unit ,therm. is left on 68 degrees day and night

Yes you should be able to heat your home without emergency heat if its designed correctly for it, if your emergency heat runs a little every now and then then it isn't so bad and there may be nothing wrong with your system but if its on all the time than you definitely have a problem with your system and need to have it looked at.

Thanks

Mark