Matthew
Matthew, HVAC Technician
Experience:  14 years experience in the HVAC field of service, installation, Manual J & D calculations

My Bryant furnace wont turn on. It has the automatic ignition

Customer Question

My Bryant furnace won't turn on. It has the automatic ignition pilot so I probably need to call a technician, correct? Nothing I can do myself?
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Matthew replied 4 years ago.
Can you turn it to fan On at your thermostat and make the blower come on?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yes.
Expert:  Matthew replied 4 years ago.
when you turn it to heat and fan to auto does the inducer draft motor come on? that is the small motor at the top of the furnace hooked to the exhaust pipe going out of the furnace
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I don't hear anything.
Expert:  Matthew replied 4 years ago.
do you have a volt meter?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yes. Just bought an electrical kit yesterday for something else. It has a GT-11 non-contact voltage detector, a DM-20 digital multimeter, and a GT-10 polarity cube. Ignorant on electricity.
Expert:  Matthew replied 4 years ago.
Ok, turn the power off to the furnace and take the top door off. Find the two wires going to the inducer draft motor there will be a white and black one. Stick your meter pins in the spade connectors on these wires one lead per wire. Then turn the furnace back on and see if you are getting 115v. Make sure your thermostat upstairs is calling for the heat to come on.

Edited by 21st centry HVAC on 12/3/2009 at 2:14 PM EST
Expert:  Matthew replied 4 years ago.
sorry you need to set your dm-20 to 200v setting
Expert:  Matthew replied 4 years ago.
Sorry but I must get going. If you have 115v coming to the vent motor but it's not coming on then you need a new vent motor. If you don't have 115v going to your vent motor then you more than likely need a new circuit board.
Matthew, HVAC Technician
Experience: 14 years experience in the HVAC field of service, installation, Manual J & D calculations
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I guess I was supposed to do something with the $15, I didn't "add my deposit" because I thought I paid but now I read I have to take it out of my deposit and put it towards the payment. Very confusing. So how do I do that now?

Expert:  Matthew replied 4 years ago.
It shows it being paid to me. What did you end up finding out about your power going to the inducer?