Mark Henley
Mark Henley, Journeyman Technician
Experience:  UA Journeyman Pipefitter , HVAC, Refrigeration, DDC controls. 26 years.Commercial & residential
10307865

Why does my 1500 watt ceramic space heater cause the electrical

Why does my 1500 watt ceramic space heater cause the electrical outlet in my living room to get warm? Additionally, the cord gets warm. When the plug is removed the prongs are hot to the touch.

You may have 14 gage wire ran to your outlets, that is a little small for the 1500 watt load, especially if there are other things also being powered by that same circuit. do you know the amperage of your circuits ?

Thanks

Mark

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
My husband says they are 15 amp circuits & 20 amp in the kitchen

15 amp circuits aren't large enough for that heater, they will draw 13.6 for the heat portion only, then a fraction of an amp for the fan motor, so say about 14 amps, so if there are any loose connections or too small of a wire in that circuit or anything else is also running on that circuit it will overheat the outlet. It should be OK in the 20 amp circuit but needs to run by itself, this is probably a problem with your power or plugs rather than the heater as there isn't much that can happen to the heater that would make it draw more amperage than its rated for and still work.

Thanks

Mark

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
OK--so within the house wiring there may be a problem. Will this cause a fire? thank you....

You may want to have an electrician come in and evaluate it, he can also check the heater to see if it is over-amping ,

Thanks

Mark