DanielC, HVAC Technician
Experience:  11 years experience in repair and replacement of residential and light commercial HVAC. CFC Certified

need thermostat wiring instructions for Goodman A/C with heat

Customer Question

need thermostat wiring instructions for Goodman A/C with heat strip model GPC1348H21BB to Hunter Fan model 44150B thermostat
Category: HVAC
Expert:  DanielC replied 6 years ago.

What terminals do you have on the thermostat?

What wires are hooked up to which terminals?

What are all the wires you have available?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
G, RC, Y, W, RH

Green wire to G, Red wire to RH, Yellow wire to Y, White wire to W, Blue wire to RH

Five wires available from thermostat, brown wire in unit is connected to the blue wire in the thermostat cable, six wires from Goodman unit, Green, Red, Yellow, White, Brown, Blue, blue wire from AC not connected to anything.

AC functions properly.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
2 pm eastern time getting a little chilly here, any help would be appreciated, thanks

Expert:  DanielC replied 6 years ago.
Remove the blue wire from the thermostat, and place a jumper between RC and RH and tell what you get.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
no change, instructions on thermostat say to remove jumper wire on 5 wire systems
Expert:  DanielC replied 6 years ago.

Green = G controls the blower motor

Red = RC is your 24V power

White = W controls the heat source

Yellow = Y controls the AC

Blue = C is the common wire, if your T-stat is battery powered then it is unused.

If hooking it up like that does not work, disconnect the t-stat, touch red to green and white, if you have heat, the t-stat is bad.

I cannot count on all fingers and toes how many times I have found those hunter brand t-stats to be bad, yes, brand new out of the box.

I highly reccomend to get a honeywell instead.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
air, not cold, but still no heat, what colored wires on the ac unit should be connected for heat?
Expert:  DanielC replied 6 years ago.

When you say "on the ac" I assume you mean the package unit.

With a package unit, the AC, the furnace, and the blower are all in one "package".

They may be using the brown wire instead of the white for heat, on your system.

Try what I suggested above but substitute the white wire for the brown.

tell me what you get.

If you get nothing then you will need to check the heat sequencer for low voltage and see if the contact is closing if low voltage is present.

You can also locate the high temp limit switch and see if its tripped.