Mark Henley
Mark Henley, Journeyman Technician
Experience:  UA Journeyman Pipefitter , HVAC, Refrigeration, DDC controls. 26 years.Commercial & residential

Good Morning We have a Comfortmaker model 50A50-110 and

Customer Question

Good Morning

We have a Comfortmaker model 50A50-110 and recently has failed to complete the heating cycle. The system begins its cycle, the igniter goes on, and the burners flame up, but then, it shuts off. The indicator light will blink six times. There's a lable on the door panel that interprets the indicator light, but only lists 1-5 blinks, or continuous blinks. Continuous blinks- "Flame sensed with no call for heat." The unit is 17 years old. I replaced the thermastat, it cycled completely several times thru the nite, but now it's failing again. Is there an DIY fix, or is it time to call in a pro?
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Mark Henley replied 4 years ago.

You want to look for the flame sensor and try cleaning it with a piece of emery cloth or scotchbrite, it looks like the one in the photo and should be located by the last burner and pointed into the flame path, clean the metal part of it off. let me know what it does after that,

Thanks

Mark

graphic

Mark Henley, Journeyman Technician
Experience: UA Journeyman Pipefitter , HVAC, Refrigeration, DDC controls. 26 years.Commercial & residential
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Sorry for the wait, I got it to cycle, so letting the house warm up first. I'll clean burner when it's finished.

No problem, I have to drop out for a while anyway so I'll pick up your replies later,

Thanks

Mark

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Mark

Sorry once again. I was called away and just now finished cleaning the flame sensor as you suggested. The unit started up when I finished. I'll need to see if it successfully cycles the next few times. In the past it would cycle successfully after being shut off for an hour or so. There was a little corrosion on the sensor, so I cleaned it off. I'll keep you posted.

Thanks

Ed

Hi Ed,

Just let me know,

Thanks

Mark

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Mark
So far, so good. Worked every time it cycled. If it occurs again, I'll contact Just Answer again.
Appreciate your time and input.
Ed

Hi ,

Thats good news,

Thanks

Mark